This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Changing code

Yes, I wanted the custom_id to be optional in the first place. The validate_page_id function was my idea too. I'll start coding now.

I'm giving you three guesses...

Yeah I'd say it ticks all the boxes.

The solution will obviously be in v1.1 but if you want to code it yourself earlier then that's fine. It would be interesting to see if it works for you.

Only if you go live with your own solution then your upgrade will be more difficult.

Edit: By the way, when you get to 50 posts you will become a senior member and you won't see the link to the rules.

Have you completed the interview?

Hi,

I have it working so you can optionally enter your own custom page id in the admin panel.

All of my initial testing proved successful.

Now I just need to make sure that the custom id is unique when entering it, and then test it fully.

The 'unique check' is now implemented and working. Everything on the roadmap so far has been done.

Great job implementing the features! Sorry that I haven't left any feedback. I was busy with something else the last couple of days, and will be busy for a little(?) while. As soon as I'm free, I'll try to work on this script some more. I really like it. Now, if I were not so busy, I would have finished implementing that feature sooner than you :p.

When will v1.1 be released? Is the demo version v1.1 right now, or is it just a different style? Do I ask too many questions? Will utf-8 be supported? Will there be a random mask feature? Will I contribute? What about bbcode?

Nah, I'm just kidding with all of those questions (except utf-8)Big Grin. Don't bother replying to them.

Hi,

I'm pleased you like the script (it will only get better). I'm looking forward to you working on it.

I aim to release v1.1 by the end of this month. I'm currently testing the upgrade process and writing instructions for it.

Commentics comes with two stylesheets, both of which are located in the css folder. I simply decided that the other one was better so I changed the demo to use it. Considering that the demo now uses it, I thought that it would only be confusing for users if it wasn't the default stylesheet in the download.

The demo is still v1.0. The only thing that I changed about it is I disabled the notification feature because some people were putting in fake email addresses and then requesting email notifications. It's a shame because disabling it affects everyone. I'm going to upgrade the demo to v1.1 at about the same time that it is released.

Yes I'd like Commentics to support utf-8. I have been looking at a few tutorials but I found them to be very contradicting about the steps needed. You seem to know a lot more about utf-8 than me. Have you made Commentics to be utf-8? If so, will you share the steps required including how to convert to it? That would be a massive contribution.

I don't plan for there to be a random mask feature. Perhaps you could create it as an add-on.

There will be BB Code at some point. As mentioned before, I need to work on the security aspect of my previous attempt at it. However the first few releases of Commentics will be more about fixing bugs and making small improvements here and there, rather than adding big features like that.

I value you as a member of the forum. All your feedback is helpful and it's clear that you can code. If you like, I could make you a forum moderator. I know there aren't many members yet but hopefully there will be in the future.

Wow, didn't I tell you not to bother replying to my questions? Stylesheet 2 does seem better, but not on a dark background. I'll create some custom styles later. Mask feature was sort of a joke. I'll create the addon later. Don't worry about BB code yet, just like you said.

UTF-8: I have it working! First of all, look here: http://www.stumbleupon.com/group/php/forum/37465/

What I did was simply change the comment row in the comments database collation type to utf8_unicode_ci. Then, I added
PHP Code:
<?php 
mysql_query
("SET NAMES 'utf8';");
mysql_query("SET CHARACTER SET 'utf8';");
in "commentics.php" right after you connect to the DB. I didn't touch anything in the admin panel, but it should be the same. BTW, dont forget to set <meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" />.
The only thing I couldn't test was sending a comment. I messed something up earlier, so it would be great if you could do it.
Setting all the tables to utf-8 in the DB might be a good idea.

As for being an admin, I'll think about it.

EDIT: As for how I know it works, I edited the comment values in phpMyAdmin.

Okay I'll try this out soon.

Also I'm going to look into adding an automatic link parsing feature. Although it would be far less advanced than the previously mentioned BB Code feature, it's possible that it could replace my plans to implement it.

I wanted to answer all of your questions.

If you don't want to be a moderator then that's totally fine. I just thought it might interest you. I think I'd only want someone who really wanted to do it.

Great, I'm awaiting your results.
Is the security issue with BB code that bad? If so, then people can live without it. It is, after all, a comment script.

I just realized that I put admin instead of moderator in my previous post 0_o. Actually, I am interested, I'm just not quite sure as to how it will work. I guess I can be one, only I won't be too active (as in check what's going on once every day or two, if not longer). But I guess that it won't be too hard over here.

Once again, waiting for your results.

Added this to the head tag:
Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>

Added this to comments/includes/commentics.php just after database connection:
PHP Code:
<?php 
mysql_query
("SET NAMES 'utf8';");
mysql_query("SET CHARACTER SET 'utf8';");

Set all tables collation as:
Code:
DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8 COLLATE utf8_general_ci;

.. but still getting the strange question mark symbols.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by noblues
09-Jun-2014, 10:11 PM
Last Post by Steven
10-Oct-2013, 09:51 PM
Last Post by 2hands
30-Dec-2012, 01:34 AM
Last Post by 2hands
24-Jun-2012, 08:56 PM