This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Changing code

Yeah the email and website fields each have their own very complex validation functions and I checked that they don't validate foreign characters. Although as I understand it email and website addresses will be unicode some day.

I found that utf-8 will be native in PHP 6 on the page that you linked.

I'm really glad that the Web Resources Depot decided to feature Commentics. Have you seen my blog entry about how many visitors it resulted in?

Have you completed the interview?

Do you mind me asking why you need a comments script, and why it needs to be utf-8?

Quote:Although as I understand it email and website addresses will be unicode some day.
I hope that day doesn't come before it's time. The web's a nightmare for developers as it is.

Yes, I have seen the blog entry. Other sites have started featuring it too. The forum seems to be growing a little too.

Quote:Do you mind me asking why you need a comments script, and why it needs to be utf-8?
Why I need a comment script? For comments, of course. Why utf-8? There's a chance that the website I'm developing will have comments in Russian. I'll show you the website when it's done.

I'm giving you three guesses...

Silly question I suppose Blush

I think I just meant what will people be commenting on.

I agree, unicode email and website addresses will cause total chaos!

Most people will be commenting on blogs. Others will be as reviews, and others will be of products. That's what comment scripts are usually for. I'll be using mine a little differently though. Won't be anything special, just to see people's opinions.

How's the progress on v1.1? Anything else you plan on adding?

Well I'm going to sort out the field validation regarding utf-8 today. That should complete the change to utf-8. I have added code to the upgrade process to convert existing tables.

The only other thing I want to do is to add an option to enable/disable the referrer check as it's clear that it's causing problems in some cases. I haven't decided yet whether it will be enabled by default.

There is nothing else that I plan to add. I'm hoping to release the v1.1 beta early next week.

The referrer check should be left in there. As soon as they set up the comment script correctly, it shouldn't bother anyone. And about the moderator thing...

Yes, I can edit and delete posts, see.

Well I'd like to add it as an option but I will make it enabled by default.

What options do you have now? Can you edit and delete posts?

I'm a mod now! I can edit, delete posts, close, stick threads, log IP's, etc. Thanks. Any guidelines I must follow?

Just common sense. Oh and I don't like closing threads unless it's really necessary.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by noblues
09-Jun-2014, 10:11 PM
Last Post by Steven
10-Oct-2013, 09:51 PM
Last Post by 2hands
30-Dec-2012, 01:34 AM
Last Post by 2hands
24-Jun-2012, 08:56 PM