This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

3.0 bugs (and a few issues)

Hello Steven,

Thanks again for Commentics, and now 3.0. The new version is quite the improvement of what was already a really good script.

I've quickly noticed a few things that I thought I'd bring to your attention, some bugs, some issues:

Bugs:

1) When a person inputted a website into the form in 2.5 it showed a link to their name. If nothing was entered it was a non-linked name. Upon updating to 3.0 all names are now showing up with links, even if the link is just http://.

2) When adjusting the view pane on my browser (Firefox 50) to its largest width the "Add Comment" button doesn't get bigger but actually shrinks down and is cropped off as "Add Comme". On the other hand, on a mobile the "Add Comment" box is coming up too big, which I presume has to do with my meta tags messing up with how Commentics is understanding the width of the page:

Code:
<meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0" />
<script>if ($(window).width() < 767) { $('meta[name=viewport]').attr('content','width=320'); }</script>

I'm guessing I can force a correction to that with CSS on my end, but I figured I'd let you know. (And on the regular browser on a PC said issue doesn't happen when I size the width of the window down, but does happen when I hit Ctrl-Shift-M.)

3) There's 6 empty boxes under "Comments" and after the last comment, but which disappear when I size down the window to its second-largest size, and which don't appear with Ctrl-Shift-M

Issues:

1) I was going to ask you about if I could change the comments order to "Oldest first", then I noticed the General category which was in a link under  Settings --> Layout --> Comments/Form. Not very intuitive I think.

2) If I'm not mistaken, in 2.5 we could choose which BBs would show up, but I can't seem to find that now. Has that disappeared?

3) Sometimes when commenting in the past I unfortunately did so without being detected as the Admin (my fault, not Commentics'). Now that there's the title beneath the Gravatars, is there a way that I could go into the database or MySQL or whatever to change those from "Senior" to "Admin"?

4) I see a red message at the top right of the back-end stating that "The config file is writable. For security it must be read-only." That's one of the files that I edited via your instruction. Having seen the message I changed the file's properties to read-only, re-uploaded it, but the message is still there. Is there something I'm still doing wrong?

That it for now! Wink

And thanks again.

Allan

Hi Allan,

1. Yes this is a bug which only affects upgrades. It can be fixed by opening the file ..

/upload/frontend/view/default/template/main/comment.tpl

.. and changing line 81 ..

PHP Code:
<?php if ($show_website && $comment['website']) { ?>

.. to this ..

PHP Code:
<?php if ($show_website && $comment['website'] && $comment['website'] != 'http://') { ?>

2. On mobile the 'Add Comment' button is designed to be 100% width. As the screen size gets bigger, the button is designed to narrow down to 16.66% width. The button text should never be cropped though so yes that sounds like something on your page is doing that. It may well be due to the conditional meta tag you posted as that will cause issues when re-sizing the screen because it only checks the window width on-load and not on re-size.

3. Can you provide some screenshots for this?

Have you completed the interview?

1. What do you think would be a more intuitive place for the general layout settings?

2. It's in 'Settings -> Layout -> Form', 'BB Code'.

3. Sure, you'd just need to open the 'comments' database table and change the value of the 'is_admin' column to '1' for your comments.

4. Changing the file to read-only in your operating system and uploading it to the server isn't the right way. If you're using FileZilla as your FTP programme then the best way would be to right-click on the file, select 'File permissions' and type 444 in the 'Numeric value' field. If it doesn't take effect then it's probably because your server doesn't allow the read-only change to be done via FTP, in which case you'd need to do it using your server's control panel (e.g. cPanel file manager).

Hello Steven,

Thanks. Besides me still needing to play around with the CSS to adjust the Add Comment button(s) and to adjust the Gravatar images for Hi-DPI screens, that fixed everything.

About the intuitive place for the general layout settings, what I was looking for was where they existed in the menu since that's where everything else is, and didn't expect them to be in a link. Why not just add another menu item under Layout? Settings --> Layout --> General.

About the boxes, you'll obviously recognize them. When I was testing things out and enabled the choosing of post ordering the drop down menu appeared in one of the boxes. The image is below, although if it doesn't work, the link is here: http://imgur.com/a/lOZWF

[Image: lOZWF]

Cheers,

Allan

I see what you mean now. If you PM me your admin login and FTP details then I'd be happy to look into it and apply a fix.

Thanks for your access details. I guess during development I didn't anticipate on people disabling all of the outer comment features.

I wasn't able to connect via FTP to apply the fix so I'm attaching the /upload/frontend/view/default/template/main/comments.tpl file for you to replace.

Attached Files
.tpl comments.tpl Size: 18 KB  Downloads: 10

Not sure why the FTP details wouldn't work, but thanks for the file nonetheless. All fixed now. Now I'm going to see if I can hunt down the necessary file where I can adjust the Gravatar image-size so I can adapt it all for HiDPI screens, and without having to ask you. Wink

Allan