This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Future release preview

I think that there should be a demo page demonstrating each new preview release. Also, a beta version that's available for download would be nice, in order to help develop it, of course. Would it be possible to create a non-functioning, or partly functioning demo of the admin panel like some other comment scripts have? What do you think, Steven?

I'm giving you three guesses...

1. It's very likely that v1.1 will be released as a beta version first. Not every version will have a beta release. It will depend on whether I feel that the particular version's changes require community testing. I'm not going to provide any type of SVN access. All downloads of Commentics, whether beta or stable, will aim to be complete and finished versions.

2. I don't like the idea of putting up a demo of a version which I'm still working on. I don't know of any other projects that do that. I'd rather concentrate on programming it and not presenting it. If you mean for me to provide a demo of it once I'm done programming, then that's what the beta download will be for and there's no better test environment than that.

3. I agree that it would be nice to have a demo of the admin panel. Perhaps one which isn't linked at all to a frontend and one which can't save anything.

Have you completed the interview?

1. & 2. Maybe just a page for people to be able to work on it, via a page on the forum? It would help with testing.

3. Simple solution: remove all database connections and mysql_query() calls. Every button should work, only nothing will update.
More complicated solution: Create a temporary DB. Or do it like phpMyAdmin does: http://www.phpmyadmin.net/home_page/try.php

1-2. How would it help with testing when there is the beta to test?

3. Good suggestion about the admin panel demo, as well as the solution to prepare it.

1-2. I don't know how to explain. If someone wants to see what you have in order to try to add to it, then the only way would be to bug you about it. I, for instance, would like to try adding stuff, and the version I have is not up to date with the other improvements. So, the only way I would know if it will work with this version is to wait for it to come out. Not, that most of the differences are dramatic, but it would still be nice at least for me to test the script against bugs and issues.

3. Update when you have something.

Any update on the backend? If you want, I can do it. Or are you waiting until v1.1?

I'm going to wait until after v1.1. I didn't see much sense in preparing it only to upgrade it a few days later.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by infogate
03-Feb-2015, 09:23 PM
Last Post by Take
19-Aug-2011, 07:47 PM