This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Automatically Register Pages

I've been playing around with Commentics and really like it. My website has a few thousand pages which I would like to enable comments on. Obviously this means that manually registering pages for comments is out of the question.

It's easy enough for me to feed my existing page ID's as users browse the site to Commentics, to give it a unique identifier for each page, but of course Commentics just shrugs it's shoulders and says that the page ID does not exist.

Is there any way to make Commentics simply generate that page ID automatically then, on the fly? I see that the Arbitrary ID add-on does something similiar, but it's programmed to grab the full URL. This process of grabbing the full URL doesn't work for me because my website is setup to include a lot of unique data with each page request:

(For example:

view.php?ref=1246&search=gamecat%3ABoard+%26+Card&offset=220&order_by=random&sort=DESC&archive=0&k=&go=previous

Each of those variables will be different for each user, but the page 1246 is the same for all.
)

I hope something exists for this problem!

Hello, Swizzle, and welcome to the forums!

I created the Arbitrary ID add-on for almost the same reasons as yours Smile
Here's the add-on's thread: http://www.commentics.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=56

In your case, things are a little tougher. I'll update the add-on to help in cases like yours, or just give you a workaround. You might want to take a look at this thread: http://www.commentics.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=54

Check back in a little while Smile

I'm giving you three guesses...

Wow - thank you. If you could do something like that I would be very grateful.

Static,

Any news on possibly being able to tweak your add-on to do this?

I tried to use your arbitrary id add-on and followed your other scripts for the admin detection as well, but couldn't get them to work properly for me.

I couldn't get the admin detection scripts to do anything at all.

The arbitrary ID script I got to create pages as people were browsing the site, however, it never gave the pages a custom id so commentics would still not display a comments box [which really didn't matter of course since all of the URL's were different since my website is setup to have all those different terms in the URL for each user session - but I was just trying to understand how it all works].

Actually, the add-on made the custom ids the same thing as the url, which makes it work the way it does. Don't know what you did wrong, but perhaps you entered the "$page_id" value incorrectly? Anyway, I am updating it right now, but with a little difficulty. Please bear with me, or find someone that would do it for me Big Grin

High Static,

could you please tell me how long the development probably takes more - I need this addon (or simliar) really urgent^^

Thnx4answer
Ming

Snap I completely forgot Blush
I'll get right on it...

Sorry about that Sad

Static, I won't have access to the add-ons page for a few more days so please upload any releases to the forum or wiki and I'll sort it out when I next get the opportunity. Thanks.

Have you completed the interview?

High there,

is there any progress, or maybe a timeline known Huh

best regards
Ming

Not much progress actually Sad
I'm getting very flaky Internet, and other things get in the way. By when would you need this done?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by marcparish
29-Jul-2020, 12:54 AM