This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Simple product review system

Hi, after hours of searching on Google I found this site! I ***think*** this system will do what I want but wanted to check as it has a lot of features! All I want to do is add a star rating to my product pages, so a user can rate the product without having to sign up or log in. These reviews would need to be aggregated so the product schema shows the rating (& hopefully Google will start showing the product stars in the results!). Will this system do that?? I'm not sure how the system would integrate with our product pages so each product has it's own rating stars? Also, we currently have a company feedback/rating page but that does not have any rating schema, can this system be used to publish company reviews & again have schema rating? Thanks for any help.

Hi on your product pages are you only wanting the star rating or do you want the comment functionality as well? If it's the former I'd say Commentics wouldn't be suitable in your case because the star rating isn't separable. If you did want the comment functionality then yes you would be able to get the product stars on Google. There's a built-in module called 'Rich Snippets' which you'd just need to enable. To integrate Commentics into your ecommerce site should be relatively straight forward. In your product template file you should have the ID of the product available. You'd supply this ID to the Commentics integration code. On your feedback page you can use Commentics as well. The next version of Commentics has a lot of schema.org markup. The current version only has the markup for the star rating.

Have you completed the interview?

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Im looking to have star ratings and a short review.  However id like to have reviews from confirmed purchasers to avoid spam etc. Is there a way this could be done? Im assuming the code integrates with our existing DB to get product ID?

For products I'm looking to emulate what Amazon do.

Re: Using for feedback and general service comments with the new version do you know when that will be released?

Thanks

(29-Nov-2018, 11:02 PM)rid Wrote:  However id like to have reviews from confirmed purchasers to avoid spam etc. Is there a way this could be done?

Yes it's possible with a bit of coding. First you'd have to check your ecommerce database to find out whether the user purchased it or not. Then you'd supply this to the Commentics integration code, for example by putting a PHP constant above it like this:

PHP Code:
<?php 
define
('USER_PURCHASED', true);
or
PHP Code:
<?php 
define
('USER_PURCHASED', false);

Then in one of the Commentics template files, like /frontend/view/default/template/main/page.tpl, you'd check if that constant is true or false and only load the form if it's true (maybe also display a message explaining it).

(29-Nov-2018, 11:02 PM)rid Wrote:  Im assuming the code integrates with our existing DB to get product ID?

Commentics won't connect to your ecommerce database to get the product ID if that's what you mean. In your product template file, you'd need to supply the product ID to the Commentics integration code. So in your product template file, for the $cmtx_identifier value in the integration code, you'd just put this:

PHP Code:
<?php 
$cmtx_identifier
= $YOUR_PRODUCT_ID_GOES_HERE;

Which ecommerce platform are you using? I've worked with a few and that's how I'd do it.

More info:
https://www.commentics.org/integration

(29-Nov-2018, 11:02 PM)rid Wrote:  Re: Using for feedback and general service comments with the new version do you know when that will be released?

There are still several changes to make so not until around March/April next year.

Thanks for the detailed reply. We aren't using an off the shelf system, it's all been custom written in PHP/Smarty template system.

Do you know if the new version will simply update the old version (when released) or would it be a matter of starting from the beginning again?

Thanks

To upgrade you just upload the relevant 'changed files' package from here:
https://www.commentics.org/upgrade

The next version also includes a one-click upgrade feature.

Thanks, I'm going to have a play around with the syetem & see if I can get it working. If I can't do you have a customization paid service available?

Not officially but if you make a donation I'd be happy to help out.

Greta, thanks. I've started the installation but it doesn't seem to be doing anything. When I click on "start" nothing happens?!

That's strange. Can you PM me the link to it please?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
10-Sep-2012, 03:39 PM
Last Post by Steven
13-Aug-2011, 10:51 AM