This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Filter Options

After acknowledging that the name and town field need increased filtering I have began to add these improvements to the code but I'm now struggling to determine the right balance between the script having enough control over these fields and inundating the administrator with unnecessary settings while at the same time overloading the code. I have below categorized all of the options into groups and I have put what I think are the appropriate default actions. Please reply saying whether particular options are useful or not and that the actions are right or not.

Detect link in name field (reject)
Detect link in town field (ban)

Detect repeating characters in name field (reject)
Detect repeating characters in town field (reject)
Detect repeating characters in comment field (reject)
(3 or more repetitions)

Dummy towns (reject)
Reserved towns (reject)
Banned towns (ban)
(Ok a reserved town may not make much sense but it's worth remembering that some users change the town field to store other information)

Detect swear words in name field (approve)
Detect swear words in town field (approve)
Detect swear words in website field (approve)
(Question: Should it detect whole words only or parts of words?)
(if whole words then ban, if parts of words then approve)

Detect spam words in name field (approve)
Detect spam words in town field (approve)
Detect spam words in website field (approve)
(Question: Should it detect whole words only or parts of words?)
(if whole words then ban, if parts of words then approve)

Have you completed the interview?

Just a thought. Maybe there can be an admin option to instantly change many of these types of settings according to the group level of strictness entered. For example:

Relaxed (doesn't check much, rejects rest)
Cautious (approves a lot)
Strict (bans a lot)
Default (mixture)

I'd only add those options if they're well documented, preferably in the admin panel itself. Also, you're forgetting the "Custom" setting. Perhaps banning for a link in the town field isn't such a good idea? I believe that organizing the backend better would really help, particularly making less pages.

I'm giving you three guesses...

In my opinion only a spammer would enter a website link as their town. Why would a non-spammer do it?

I have decided that the rest of the 1.x versions are going to focus on improving existing functionality and usability, as opposed to adding new features.