This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Stuck in Maintenance Mode

Doing an upgrade, put it all in maintenance mode as recommended.

Now it is time to test the live site, and I the Message: "Presently in maintenance."

I also see: "[b]Note[/b]: The administrator is excluded from maintenance mode."

How do I include the administrator in maintenance mode? I looked at Settings > Administrator, didn't see what I needed.

Thank you!

If you're on a version older than v4.0 you can go to 'Settings -> Admin Detection' and disable admin detection. Otherwise if you're on version v4.0 you'll need to open another browser. Doing either of those things will mean that you'll just see the maintenance mode message and will be unable to test anything. Normally you'll want to be excluded from maintenance mode in order to make sure everything is working. And of course once you're ready to disable maintenance mode just go to 'Settings -> Maintenance' and disable it.

Have you completed the interview?
Question 

Steven:

I don't understand. I am on version 4.0 (You are using the latest version)
>>  if you're on version v4.0 you'll need to open another browser.
I opened Chrome, which I keep around for situations like this as I normally use Safari - reset everything, logged in
>> you're ready to disable maintenance mode just go to 'Settings -> Maintenance' and disable it.
In Chrome I go to 'Settings -> Maintenance' and I see the Enabled: checkbox is unchecked. Also "Note: The administrator is excluded from maintenance mode.". I hit "Update" and the Message: is still "Presently in maintenance." And I don't see the Commentics form on the site where I've configured it as instructed in https://www.commentics.org/integration

At least I no longer get any PHP errors and I'm thankful for that.

Thank you for your patience!

~Paul

Hi Paul,

How do I include the administrator in maintenance mode?
I was trying to answer this question by explaining that if you want to see the maintenance mode message ("Presently in maintenance") like the rest of your users then you would need to view the page you've integrated Commentics into using another browser. It's important not to login to the admin area in this other browser as doing so means that it's able to detect that you're an admin.

In Chrome I go to 'Settings -> Maintenance' and I see the Enabled: checkbox is unchecked.
Okay so this appears to be the root of the problem that you're wanting to get help with. Can you PM me your FTP details again please? I always delete them afterwards for data privacy reasons. Can you also provide admin login details?

PM sent. Thank you for your assistance!

Hi Paul,

I had a look at some of your pages and I couldn't see a maintenance message being displayed on any of them. So I opened one of your files, 2018-Corvette, and the integration code was commented out. I uncommented the code but Commentics still wasn't loading. I found out the reason was because in your integration code you had this:

PHP Code:
<?php 
$cmtx_path
= 'commentics/';

It needed to be changed to this:

PHP Code:
<?php 
$cmtx_folder
= '/commentics/';

Now Commentics is loading and working for that page.

Also I noticed that there are no countries in the country field. So I had a look at your version history in 'Reports -> Version' and it shows that you upgraded from 3.0 straight to 3.4, skipping the upgrades in between. This explains why there are no countries and it explains why you might be experiencing various other issues. I'd advise reverting to your v3.0 backup and performing each upgrade, starting from 3.0 to 3.1 and ending with 3.4 to 4.0.

Steven:

Thank you for your time and patience.

I did as recommended and installed my v2.5 backup and then installed 3.0, 3.1, 3.2, 3.3, 3.4 and then 4.0 from downloads at https://www.commentics.org/changelog Each time I ran the /install and the admin page worked.

I noticed that the route=report/version page lists only 2.5, 3.0, 3.4 and 4.0. I don't know why 3.1 thru 3.3 is not listed. Is that a clue?

I should have mentioned that the test page that I was using is https://corvettestory.com/1953-Corvette-...nnings.php Sorry about that, my mistake. Commentics still does not work there.

The code at that page is:
$cmtx_identifier = '1953-Corvette';
$cmtx_reference = '1953 Corvette Part One';
$cmtx_folder = '/commentics/';
require($_SERVER['DOCUMENT_ROOT'] . $cmtx_folder . 'frontend/index.php'); //don't edit this line
?>

You are correct, Commentics does work at https://corvettestory.com/2018-Corvette-...bon-65.php

In the error log at route=report/errors I see:
[23-Feb-2020 01:06:24 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: last_task in /usr/home/hotbst/public_html/corvettestory.com/commentics/system/library/setting.php on line 24
[23-Feb-2020 01:06:24 UTC] PHP Notice:  Undefined index: new_version_notified in /usr/home/hotbst/public_html/corvettestory.com/commentics/system/library/setting.php on line 24
Not sure if that is any help.

In the admin page route=manage/pages I do not see the 1953-Corvette Identifier ($cmtx_identifier = '1953-Corvette'Wink listed, is that a clue? I do see 2018-Corvette ($cmtx_identifier = '2018-Corvette'; i.e. the page that works) listed.

So it appears that the identifier has to be listed in the database / route=manage/pages for Commetics to work for me. Do I have to list it somewhere in the admin page? Or does it get listed automatically somehow? If I am the one to do the listing, I don't see where I do that.

Thank you again for your time and patience.

Regards,

Paul Pollock
WebCars! / Corvette Story Webmaster
http://web-cars.com
http://corvettestory.com

Hi Paul,

From what you've described, it sounds as if the report/version page is correct in that it's missed the 3.1, 3.2 and 3.3 upgrades. One of the reasons I think that is because 'last_task' and 'new_version_notified' are settings that are added in the 3.3 to 3.4 upgrade. It's hard to say at this point whether it's a problem with Commentics or if it's that you're not quite following the upgrade procedure properly. For example, to upgrade, the recommended way is to use the 'changed files' packages that are downloadable on the upgrade page, rather than downloading the whole fileset from the changelog page. What I suggest is if you install your v2.5 backup again and let me know the admin details (I already have FTP) I'll do the upgrades for you. Once we get it to v3.4 it should be really easy with the one-click upgrade feature. Regarding the page not showing in manage/pages it may be because in v4 it only shows page that have comments on.

Steven:

>> the recommended way is to use the 'changed files' packages that are downloadable on the upgrade page, rather than downloading the whole fileset from the changelog page.
Yeah, I was aware of that. I used the changelog files as they had a lot more files than what I saw in the changed_files_xx. One of my previous attempts to upgrade had the problem of many missing files, hence my use of the changelog files.

I've uploaded the v2.5 backup that I have. For whatever reason, I am unable to log in to the admin page.

***** Thanks. Have removed these details. Steven *****

Thank you for your help and continuing patience.

Regards,

Paul Pollock
WebCars! / Corvette Story Webmaster
http://web-cars.com
http://corvettestory.com

Hi Paul,

The database that your v2.5 backup is using isn't a v2.5 database. It appears to be the database that you attempted the upgrades on. Can you put your v2.5 database there? The one from your v2.5 backup.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by uplate
27-Jan-2020, 06:27 AM