This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Moving on from 2.5

Hello

I have a client who has just asked for updates to his site after many years! I'm amazed that Commentics still works on his site after all this time but it does.

We have version 2.5 installed and I see that this is now very out of date and that the leap to version 3.0 is a major one.

I am wondering if we would be better installing the latest version rather than trying to upgrade. If I did this, would there be a way to export the comments and import them into the new version?

If this is possible it seems to me this would be a much cleaner way to do it.

I will likely be rebuilding the site on PHP 7.3.

I would appreciate your advice.

Many thanks
Jennie

Should perhaps mention, I'll be rebuilding the site on a different server so if I was upgrading it, I would need to move it first. Unless there is a better way.

Hi Jennie,

Currently the only way to upgrade is incrementally. I might look into changing the next version so that any version can upgrade to it but for now it's incremental only.

I take it you've seen this post with the instructions for 2.5 to 3.0. That step is probably the most time consuming, mainly because it involves deleting all the 2.5 files, uploading all the 3.0 files and resetting the admin password etc. Once it's done though, the next ones are really simple with the 'changed files' packages. 3.4 to 4.0 is even easier with the one-click upgrade feature.

Any issues at all, just let me know.

Have you completed the interview?

Thank you Steven I have seen that post.

Is it straightforward to move to another server? Can I just copy all the site files over and export/import the database?

I assume I'll have to start with an earlier PHP version to get it to work before I attempt any upgrades.

He has 47 comments by the looks of it so not a huge number.

Thanks for your help

Jennie x

Yes it'd be very straight forward to move it to another server. Just copying the files and exporting/importing the database should be all that's required. If the database connection details are different then edit the config.php file in the root of the application. I assume the domain is the same, otherwise just edit the fields in 'Settings -> System'.

As far as I'm aware, Commentics v3.0 and above should work fine on PHP 7.3. The only exception is the 'Reports -> PHP Info' page. With PHP 7.3 that page will only work properly on Commentics v4.0 but it's not a problem unless you actually visit the page.

Thank you Steven

I will wait until the new site is under way to attempt this, in case anyone leaves any reviews in the meantime.

Thanks for your help
Best regards
Jennie

Hi Steven

The client now wants his new site building in Joomla CMS, just to complicate matters.

Just wondering if this is going to be possible? I can set the Joomla editor to allow PHP...

Many thanks
Jennie

Hi Jennie,

I don't have much experience with Joomla but in theory it should be possible if you're able to add PHP to the templates.

Otherwise the iFrame integration method will work. This just requires HTML/JS tags to be added.

Thank you Steven

That gives me a couple more options.

Will try out the upgrade first x

Hi Steven
Confusing myself here. I'm preparing to set the site up on another domain as is and upgrade Commentics before attempting to integrate with Joomla.
Just copied all the site files over but reading the instructions the Commentics files need to all be deleted anyway?

So are the following steps about right, assuming I first remove the Commentics folder that was on the old site:

1. Upload the Commentics 3 upload files to the server
2. Import old database using PHPMyAdmin to a new database (this will have a different username/db name/password)
3. Rename backend folder to old admin name
4. Rename upload folder
5. Run the upgrade
6. Edit config.php with new db settings
7. Reset admin password (I assume this is on login page) using Lost Password feature
8. Login to admin panel
9. Edit settings / system for change of domain path
10. Update other settings (can refer to old setup to do this)
11. Change admin password (again?)
12. Check file permissions in Reports
13. Test email
14. Delete install folder
15. Take script out of maintenance mode - I won't have been able to put it in maintenance mode unless I can do it through PHP myadmin. But does it matter since this is not the live site?

If I get this far I'll be highly delighted!

Is there anything important I've missed or anything that should be done in a different order?

Thanks
Jennie