This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

No database loads after upgrade and version number reports v

It's normal that the 'Get help for this page' link goes to a 404 page. It's because your version of Commentics is about 4 years old and the links have since changed in the newer versions.

What's not normal is that there's no 'Update' button on the edit page.

Now that you've approved the comments, are they showing on your page? If not, it might be that your identifier in the integration code isn't matching up with the identifier of your page.

If you want you can PM me your access details. Ideally FTP and admin login details. I'd then be in a better position to know what's happening and resolve it.

Have you completed the interview?

Thanks Steven

I have made some progress, but the edit pages is still a huge stumbling block.

I now see the form in the ARTIFEX page, and after looking at the info in the ‘pages’ table can see three posts that I made today – but none of the old ones pre upgrade. It looks like the root folder name for this particular site has changed at some point from all lower case to all capitals: but this didn’t seem to bother v.2.5.

To prove this is the issue I then put the new code into another page from another of my sites 1845 Naval Air Squadron and mirroring the identifier and reference all works fine. So the manage pages is probably the key to sorting this all out.

I will send details as requested.

Thanks Steven

I have made some progress, but the edit pages is still a huge stumbling block.

I now see the form in the ARTIFEX page, and after looking at the info in the ‘pages’ table can see three posts that I made today – but none of the old ones pre upgrade. It looks like the root folder name for this particular site has changed at some point from all lower case to all capitals: but this didn’t seem to bother v.2.5.

To prove this is the issue I then put the new code into another page from another of my sites 1845 Naval Air Squadron and mirroring the identifier and reference all works fine. So the manage pages is probably the key to sorting this all out.

I will send details as requested.

Thanks for providing your access details.

I had a look at the page you mentioned:
http://www.royalnavyresearcharchive.org....RTIFEX.htm

The reason the old comments aren't showing is because you're not using the right identifier in your integration code. In your integration code the identifier is 'H.M.S.ARTIFEX'. However in 'Manage -> Pages' it's 'http://royalnavyresearcharchive.org.uk/bpf-eif/ships/artifex.htm'. So you have two choices. You can either change your integration code identifier to 'http://royalnavyresearcharchive.org.uk/bpf-eif/ships/artifex.htm'. Or edit the page in the admin area, change the identifier to 'H.M.S.ARTIFEX' and click Update. I can see the Update button fine. When I say to edit the page, I mean to click the pencil icon in the Action column. Then you'll see the Update button.

The reason the version check on your admin dashboard isn't working is because your server has something called 'BitNinja' installed. It's a security application and it's preventing Commentics from working properly. You might want to contact your host about that, perhaps they can whitelist the commentics.org domain. Otherwise you won't be able to use important features like the one-click upgrade etc.

Many thanks Steven

The ARTIFEX page is now correct – I had to remove all the empty entries and the one with my 3 test messages before it would accept the change of identifier but I now see 33 comments on the page.

I must apologise for taking up so much of your time – also I never found the edit/update feature because I failed to scroll so far to the right!

Is it safe to go up to version 4 now?

It's no problem, especially for someone who has used Commentics for so long.

Yes you should be fine now to continue upgrading. Any issues just let me know.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
03-Feb-2020, 09:20 PM
Last Post by uplate
27-Jan-2020, 06:27 AM
Last Post by ddraber
15-Apr-2019, 02:34 PM
Last Post by chris
14-Feb-2019, 10:15 PM