This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Commentics & static-site-generators (e.g. Hugo)

Hello,

I'm looking for a open-source commenting engine for my Hugo-powered static-sites...Considering I plan to use PHP-powered search engine option as well as script for forms, Commentics seems as nice option, but I wonder whether it is suitable for static-site-generated sites like e.g. Hugo?

Hi welcome to the project. What concerns specifically do you have about it not working with your static website? I'll then be better able to advise if Commentics is suitable.

Have you completed the interview?

First of all, I haven't seen any reference (in Hugo forums) to Commentics in regard to Hugo, so have no idea if it is suitable to for integration with static website. Now I've found out that Commentics does support multisite setup which is nice and I prefer it for my use case. Moreover, I'd need support for Croatian language for some sites as well..

Lastly, I've read one 'cons' in some blog post in regard to usage of 'iFrame' and wonder if 'PHP integration' is feasible for the static website setup?

Let me say that some alternatives which I'm looking at are commento, remark42 and hashover, although I'd prefer PHP-powered solution (like Commentics/HashOver)...

As long as your static website allows PHP, and more specifically the PHP require() function, in its templates then you shouldn't have a problem with the PHP integration. I've had a quick look at Hugo and it doesn't appear to support PHP in its templates, at least not without a lot of workarounds.

I think the PHP integration is best, especially if SEO is important, but it isn't always possible which is one of the reasons why I added support for the iFrame integration. Either way you'll have Commentics which in my opinion is the best choice available when all factors are considered.

This FAQ will help in adding the Croatian language:
https://www.commentics.org/faq/language/add

Have you completed the interview?

(02-Mar-2021, 10:00 PM)Steven Wrote:  As long as your static website allows PHP, and more specifically the PHP require() function, in its templates then you shouldn't have a problem with the PHP integration. I've had a quick look at Hugo and it doesn't appear to support PHP in its templates, at least not without a lot of workarounds.

I've played a bit with small demo site generated by Hugo. Even if I try 'php-integration example it does not work on my server.

Quote:I think the PHP integration is best, especially if SEO is important, but it isn't always possible which is one of the reasons why I added support for the iFrame integration.

iFrame integration does work, although  I believe that 'PHP' integration should work as well considering post like this one.  Huh

Quote:Either way you'll have Commentics which in my opinion is the best choice available when all factors are considered.

I'll play with some other solution before deciding...

Quote:This FAQ will help in adding the Croatian language:
https://www.commentics.org/faq/language/add

Thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by kbadmin
28-May-2019, 07:16 PM
Last Post by besric
27-Dec-2018, 12:46 PM
Last Post by bobby
10-Oct-2015, 10:11 PM