This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Okay, Big Project Ahead.....

Hi Steven,

Commentics v4.2

My site already has a login system in place and each user has their own profile page where they can upload an avatar or photos as well.

What all would I need to do/change to get commentics integrated with the system already in place?
(i.e. - when someone clicks on the user's avatar they are redirected to the user's profile page.)

users_table already exists in another database as well.

Thanks!

It's a nice idea but the amount of time and the complexity of this customization means that I can't personally provide support for it.

Have you completed the interview?

Well I thought Commentics was designed to be "integrated" ?????

How would I disable a user being taken to the upload avatar / subscriptions page in Commentics v4.2?

If you go to 'Settings -> Layout -> Comments' and disable the 'User Link' setting, that will stop it showing a link to the user page when the user first posts a comment. Then I believe the only other places would be in the emails so for example if you go to 'Settings -> Email -> Editor' and edit the 'User Comment Approved' email you can remove the last section from both the Text and HTML versions. Of course, this only makes sense if you also disable the subscription feature and the avatar feature (or you use the avatar feature with Gravatar).

"If you go to 'Settings -> Layout -> Comments' and disable the 'User Link' setting"

I could not see this User Link until I set 'Avatar' to "None",..... THEN, avatars in all comments disappeared.  I had to go back in and set avatars back to "Upload".

Now my question is since avatars is now set to Upload, won't that once again enable a user to be taken to the upload avatar / subscriptions page???

Also, on one of my pages I have an overlay button for the page, but commentics is not overlaid.  How would I fix that?

Thanks!

You shouldn't set avatars to Upload if you're going to prevent everyone from getting to their user page to upload their avatar. That's why I was saying it only makes sense if you either disable the avatar feature or you set it to Gravatar so they're able to upload their avatar on the Gravatar website.

I don't know how you would fix that, aside from not showing the overlay button on pages with Commentics on.

Well, Users already upload their avatar elsewhere on the site.  It's rather senseless to make them re-upload it again within commentics.  I can manually add their same avatar into the commentics database.

They also already have a profile page on the website, so they don't need another one inside of commentics!  That's why I was trying to eliminate those Double-Jeopardy features altogether within commentics to avoid user confusion.

Perhaps better integration in a future version?

(29-Jul-2021, 12:17 PM)The_Phantom Wrote:  I could not see this User Link until I set 'Avatar' to "None"

The User Link setting always shows, it's just not always in exactly the same location.

(29-Jul-2021, 12:17 PM)The_Phantom Wrote:  avatars in all comments disappeared

That's the intended behaviour of setting it to none.

(29-Jul-2021, 12:17 PM)The_Phantom Wrote:  Now my question is since avatars is now set to Upload, won't that once again enable a user to be taken to the upload avatar / subscriptions page???

No, not if you have the User Link setting disabled.

Ahhh.....  You are correct.  Thanks for clearing this up!