This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Limit Top-Level Posts Per Page

This is coming from another post of mine, where I would find it extremely useful to limit a user to only one top-level post per user per page.

Reasoning - I have a site where people can leave a review of an item, and I don't want them to be able to leave more than one review. I'm happy for them to reply to other top-level posts. The way I envision this feature is that if they haven't commented on the page, they can. Once they have commented though, unless they're replying to someone else, they get a popup like "You have already commented/reviewed on this" 

I've worked through a few hacky solutions where I remove the form through javascript - but this prevents replying to a post, and I have also looked into deleting multiple posts by the same user for the same page from the database... but this isn't ideal. I'd rather have a prevention than an after-the-fact fix.

Hi Mark, thanks for this suggestion, I think it would be a good feature.

In the latest version there's the quick reply feature which shows a small form below the comment the user is replying to. So the best solution might be to hide the main form if the user has already posted a comment on the page, (using JavaScript would be okay), and allow the quick reply feature. There's a link on the quick reply form which says something like "Switch to full reply" but that link could be easily hidden with JavaScript.

Have you completed the interview?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
17-Apr-2023, 07:40 PM
Last Post by alkrav
31-Jul-2020, 09:04 AM
Last Post by Steven
02-Feb-2011, 05:52 PM
Last Post by Static
12-Aug-2010, 10:46 PM