This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Disabling rating from the form

Hi,

first of all, this is a very nice script. Great work!

I'm not sure of this is a bug but when I disable in the CP rating from the form everyone who wants to post a comment gets a ban message and I have to unban them. I can disable everything, such as captcha, question, counter etc without a problem but as soon as I disable the rating option no one can post a comment anymore. Can you please fix this as I don't want to use the rating option.

Hi,

Thanks I'm pleased you like the script.

When someone submits the form, the script checks whether the data that they submitted matches with the data that is expected. That way you won't for example store someone's website address when you didn't even ask for it. If this happens Commentics bans the person because it's seen as malicious behaviour and the ban will show the reason 'Mismatching data submitted'. Unfortunately what can happen is you disable a form field (e.g. rating) while someone is already viewing the form. Then when they submit the form (with the rating data) they would get banned for mismatching data. I think this is probably what has happened with you. If you refresh the form and then submit it do you still get banned?

Have you completed the interview?

Doesn't seem to happen to me. I've tested it and there are no ban messages. If the problem still exists and reinstalling is an option, try reinstalling.

I'm giving you three guesses...

Hi Steven,

no, this also happens after refreshing the page. I tried it in different browsers. This is the message I get after submitting:

You have just been banned.
This can be due to a variety of reasons including swearing, spamming and hacker-related behaviour.

If you feel that this was in error, please contact the administrator, quoting your IP Address.

You can try it yourself at http://www.rlvw.be/2010/reacties.php . It's still a test site so you can post whatever you want.

As soon as I enable rating again in the CP (Layout -> Form -> Enabled), I can post again.

What reason does the ban show in Manage -> Bans?

What happens if you uncheck 'Stop Repeat Voting' in Settings -> Security?

I can't replicate the problem on my test site.

I notice you've customized the script a lot. Maybe it's to do with that?

If the ban reason says 'Mismatching data submitted', please try the following:

Open comments/includes/app/processor.php

Find these lines (line 216):
Code:
if (isset($_POST['rating']) && !$enabled_rating) {
    ban(BAN_REASON_MISMATCHING_DATA); //ban user for mismatching data
}

Comment out the middle line like this:
Code:
if (isset($_POST['rating']) && !$enabled_rating) {
    //ban(BAN_REASON_MISMATCHING_DATA); //ban user for mismatching data
}

Hi Steven,

the reason mentioned in the cp was indeed 'Mismatching data submitted.'

I've outcommented the suggested line in comments/includes/app/processor.php and that solved the problem. Thanks a lot!

I'm glad that worked!

It's strange how the script thought that a rating had been submitted.

I had a look at your website's source code and there is no mention of the word 'rating'.

Anyway at least it's working now.

I like how you've customized everything. You should add it to the showcase once it's live Smile

Hmm... actually, I think that it's a faulty cookie. Clearing cookies, specifically the one that says banned should have fixed it. I think that it is PHPSESSID.

I'm giving you three guesses...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
25-Oct-2020, 03:20 PM
Last Post by Steven
19-Mar-2017, 01:52 PM