This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

No DB backup

Hi again
I wanted to update from 1.5 to 1.6 and did a DB backup. It said the backup was successfully created but it doesn't show any backup file.

Thanks
Norbs

Hi,

Take a look at the 'Get help for this page' link at the top right of the Tools -> Database Backup page.

Have you completed the interview?

(14-Sep-2011, 09:09 AM)Steven Wrote:  ...look at the 'Get help for this page' link at the top right of the Tools -> Database Backup page.
  • The admin/backups/ directory might not have sufficient write permissions. In the admin panel go to Reports > Permissions to check this. all OK
  • Your host may have disabled the PHP system() function. Contact your host for assistance. all OK
  • MySQLDump can have problems when MySQL connection details contain certain symbols. Try using only letters and numbers. not sure how this relates to clicking the "backup database" button since I only click that button, nothing else
  • You may need to specify the full server path to your server's MySQLDump file. In the admin panel this can be set in Settings > System. Contact your host for assistance. well, that could be the only thinkable reason and - besides, the "MySQLDump Path:" filed is empty. So I'll check on that.

BTW, would it be just OK to do an SQL export within the phpMyadmin as a backup and if everything fails, upload the backup files and import the SQl into the db again?

Thanks

Hi,

When it refers to the 'MySQL connection details' it means the information you enter in comments/includes/db/connect.php. For example if your MySQL password contains a percent sign (%) or even a dash (-) then it can be a problem for the database backup tool.

The 'MySQLDump Path' is meant to be empty by default because most servers know the correct path without it being specified but if not then it can be entered there. Your host will be able to tell you the path, however you might try these first:
Code:
/usr/bin/
/usr/local/bin/
/usr/local/mysql/bin/
/usr/mysql/bin/

Yes, a phpMyAdmin export is just as good.

Have you completed the interview?

(14-Sep-2011, 09:33 PM)Steven Wrote:  ...if your MySQL password contains a percent sign (%) or even a dash (-) then it can be a problem for the database backup tool.
ha - well that's it then! Since I like to go nuts with password and include all sorts of characters (just to make life difficult for myself and others ;-)

I tried to look up how to format the SQL string to change old to new password http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.5/en/r...sions.html but I read all sorts of constellations - I don't wanna mess that up that I can't access the DB anymore (never did this ever before) ... and short answer to that?

My version;
Server version: 5.0.92-community
MySQL client version: 4.1.22

Thanks