This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

1.5>1.7 straight?

It may sound stupid, but is it possible to upgrade directly from 1.5 to 1.7 (http://www.commentics.org/upgrade.php) tells only 1.6 to 1.7 and...
what do I do with all my (design) changes and add-ons I had in 1.5?
(does the script now support /overrides/ folders?)

thanks a lot and ...
congratulations to version 1.7 ... it is all W3C compliant,,, no errors anymore, EXCELLENT ;-)

Hi,

In terms of the database, the script will have no problem upgrading from 1.5 to 1.7. It will perform the database upgrade from 1.5 to 1.6 and then 1.6 to 1.7 in one go.

However, with the files, you will have to combine the instructions for each upgrade, so that all the right files are added/renamed/deleted. As normal, put the script in maintenance mode and back up your database and files, then in the 1.7 download, do the following:
  • Rename the admin folder /comments/admin/ to match your renamed admin folder.
  • Delete the files in /comments/includes/words/ except for admin_tips.txt
  • Delete the folders in /comments/includes/emails/ except for croatian, slovenian and thai.
  • Open /comments/includes/db/connect.php and enter your database details.

Then:
  • On your server rename the new_comment_flag.txt file in /comments/includes/emails/yourlanguage/admin/ to new_flag.txt
  • On your server set normal file permissions (644) for /comments/includes/db/connect.php
  • Upload the comments folder onto your existing comments folder to overwrite everything.
  • On your server set read-only file permissions (444) for comments/includes/db/connect.php
  • Run the upgrade http://www.domain.com/comments/installer/
  • Take the script out of maintenance mode (Settings -> Maintenance).

Afterwards, clear your web browser cache and cookies.

Have you completed the interview?

Hi Steven

Thanks for that 1.5-1.7 upgrade explanation. If that's all, that should be easy. Just correct me if I'm wrong, after the upgrade -
  1. I'd need to re-install any add-on I had before.
  2. I'd need to do a re-design since the old will all be overwritten
  3. 1.7 version does not support "overrides" folder, where i could place my modified files to make another upgrade easier in terms that I wouldn't need to do a complete re-design
Thanks a lot
Norbs

1. Yes. I'm not sure what add-ons you have, but only the 'Recent Comments' add-on would be unaffected.
2. Yes.
3. There is no override support. Commentics has a small number of files, most of which are modified with each upgrade, so even if you could override the files you would still need to re-add your previous changes. Also, it is impossible for the script to use an override for the CSS stylesheet as it is included by your page. The best method I think is to make as few changes to the files as possible, make detailed notes of your changes, and for those files that you have changed, compare them to the new ones using a tool like WinMerge or Diffuse so that you can easily see the differences.

Have you completed the interview?

yep, thought so.
and yes I agree with you, it's not a big deal (I have everything recorded anyway, just wanted to act a little lazy Confused )

two rather stupid questions I'd like to add, Steven;
1. is it possible to have two commentics installed (for the beginning only and just for the case I'd stuff up some customization on the new install which is for a different section of the website anyway and also still not accessible to for public)?

2. Now the greater stupid question .. I can't remember any longer how to add pages and in admin I just can't find it ... that's something I didn't recored in the past... silly!)

Thanks a lot

1. Yes, it is possible, you just need to have a separate table for your other installation. Everything else is the same, just make sure your paths are correct.

2. Newer versions don't have the ability to "add" pages. This is no longer necessary since commentics automatically adds the pages where the script is integrated.

I'm giving you three guesses...