This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

rename "comments"

Hi again

(relating to version 1.7)
I renamed the home folder "comments" and also changed the name in admin system. Everything seem OK except the CSS. Where in the script would I need to make the changes for this to work, please?
TKS

Hi,

You will need to update the stylesheet line of code in the head tag of your pages:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="comments/css/stylesheet.css"/>

http://www.commentics.org/integration.php

Have you completed the interview?

(03-Dec-2011, 03:28 PM)Steven Wrote:  You will need to update the stylesheet line ... <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="comments/css/stylesheet.css"/>

Hi Steven
Sorry for the misunderstanding, I didn't tell that because I thought that would be clear thing to do for everyone ... ;-) No, That I'd done already as the a very first step. I did also change it, of course in the PHP call where it says
PHP Code:
<?php 
$path_to_comments_folder
= "comments/";
and also in admin/settings_system where it reads Comments URL: [../../comments/]. So all changes have been applied and the entire site and comments section works fine except the styling for the comments section is gone. This was a clean, new install and what wondered me was that after the install, in the admin section, the Comments URL: path was automatically set to "../../comments/", despite the fact that I had input the corrected path during the installation already.

So my guess here is, even though you can input another path, somehow the script would overwrite it and reset it to be the default "comments" again.
What I meant is, is there any place within the "commentics code' itself, a language file or ...etc, where I'd need to edit/change the path? I looked at different places but I could not find anything that would be obvious to me.

Thanks a lot.

Okay, another obvious question that I need to ask is whether you have cleared your browser cache and refreshed your page?

Have you completed the interview?

(06-Dec-2011, 04:43 PM)Steven Wrote:  Okay, another obvious question that I need to ask is whether you have cleared your browser cache and refreshed your page?
Hi Steven Wink yep, sure did, and I always also check 4 browsers ...

Now here comes the more weird part. It's quite tricky and not easy to understand, so please read slowly ...

Last time I renamed the "comments" folder (I call it from here onward only short CF) I got the distorted view (without CSS) in the the attached screen shots 111.jpg (forget about No.2 - this was just another test).

What is important is the sequence I applied the changes and that makes all the difference. (I just reconstructed the same again and got the same results. When I got the No Styling view I followed these steps.
  1. renamed CF on the server to, say - BLA
  2. changed path to commentics in the php call on my pages as well as link to styleheet
  3. uploaded everything to server
  4. vist the commentics admin in .../BLA/admin/
  5. changed the path to URL in settings/system from CF to BLA
  6. visit my pages and say commentics as in figure 3 in 111.jpg
I reset everything to CF and got the all clear normal view (figure 1)
I repeat the former chugs and get the same misbehavior

NOW I would try something different
  1. reset everything to normal (CF)
  2. upload a file containing the link to CSS and PHP call with pointing to BLA
  3. vist the commentics admin in .../CF/admin/
  4. rename CF in settings/system to BLA
  5. using FTP access I now rename the CF on the server to BLA
  6. visit my page which has the PHP path and link to CSS with BLA
  7. voila... everything seem to be OK just as it is under the original settings with CF
One would think , great. All you need to do is follow this sequence in renaming the CF, but no...as said the very weird thing hit me when I now try to access my commentics admin area under BLA... Guess what... YEP I get now a 404 telling me that this folder does not exist...

Hmm. strange. OK, let's try accessing my admin folder under the the old, original folder which I just renamed everything and everywhere and guess what ... voila, I can access my admin, which is - indeed under BLA - if I visit CF (CF but does no longer exist, not in reality!)

Really strange, look at the screenshot 222.jpg. While indeed you sees - in the browser bar - that I accessed my admin with the path to CF (CF really doesn't exist in the browser) - when navigating to settings/system, the path in there would show, however, with the path to the URL pointing to the renamed folder "BLA". on the left side you see a blended in column view from my FTP client FileZilla, also shooing INDEED that CF does not exist and it would show the new folder (what I referred in this reply to as "BLA"... as you can see in the screenshot, in my trials i named it "clitx")

So far so good. While I am in my CF admin which "supposing" should be the BLA admin area, I reset the URL path back to CF again and get out of that magic house. I also changed the folder name on the server back to CF again. Remember, before I tried to access My BLA (which really existed) by going to BLA but needed to get into CF to be inside my BLA. Now, BLA does no longer exist anymore (just as CF didn't exist before) and if I would now try to go to BLA, I would correctly get a 404 telling that BLA does not exist and THIS, This is the one only NORMALITY on the entire spook. ;-)

So here is something real magic happening. I am already sipping on my 3. cup of coffee and no matter how much I think this magic through, I cannot find any solution to it...

Trust me, Steven, I spent 2 days on this now trying to find a solution and I tried the same thing a few times now. Different browsers (Mozilla, Chrome, Opera, Safari) clearing cache, getting rid of cookies, resetting the complete browser, even shutting my entire machine down (iMAC) and overtime I follow the above steps I get the same results. So this would eliminate the chance of unfortunate one-timer coincident.

Please pull me out of my Harry Potter cage ;-)

Cheereoh

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
21-May-2015, 06:30 PM