This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Subscription Re-activation

Hi everyone,

I'm hoping to get some feedback on the 'Notify me of new comments via email' feature.

At the moment, when a user receives a new comment notification email, their subscription is marked as inactive and they have to click a link at the bottom of the email to re-activate it. Until they re-activate the subscription, they won't receive anymore new comment notification emails.

The advantage to this is that their email account won't ever get flooded with new comment notification emails. For example, they might go away from the computer for a few days and return to find 20 emails! With the re-activation feature, it would just be one email.

However, some people might not read that they need to re-activate it, as people tend to skim text and don't read every detail. That's the first issue.

The second issue is that people may get bored of having to click the link each time. They might find it repetitive and stop clicking it after a couple of times.

One solution that I could make is to completely remove the re-activation feature so the user won't need to click a link each time. After all, they may not mind receiving lots of emails, or it may be a quiet site where there is only a new comment every few days, and they can always unsubscribe at anytime if they want to.

Another solution would be to provide an 'Options' section in the email where the user can click a link to say whether they want to use the re-activation feature or not. (This would only affect their own subscription and not everyone's). This way each user can decide for themselves. If the admin does not want to provide this option then they could simply edit it out of the email in the admin panel. Maybe the default could be that there is no re-activation necessary, but the user can enable it if they want to. I don't want to over-complicate it though.

Any thoughts?

Have you completed the interview?

If I post on a forum and check that I want other posts to be sent to me by email, then I expect them to continue until I stop it. If there is a lot of traffic, then I will take the consequences. This feature might be good for some very high traffic sites, but I don't expect that for mine and so would like to turn this feature off for my installation. Can I just set the number of days to zero? Or do I have to change some code?

David

Hi David,

It's interesting what you said about forums. I know that with vBulletin forums, when you check that you want new post email notifications, it will only send you one email and then it will wait until you visit the forum again, at which point your subscription is re-activated. As a user I prefer this way.

If you set the number of days to zero, it should work how you want it to. You can then edit out the parts in the notification email about re-activating, using the Settings -> Email -> Editor.

Have you completed the interview?