This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Administrator Permissions

Hi,

I'd like to get some feedback on a new feature to restrict an administrator's permissions. This is useful for cases where you might want someone to moderate your comments but you don't want them to have access to everything, such as the database backup page and the settings pages.

In the next version, if you edit an administrator, there will be a 'Restrict Pages' option:

If you click on it, a list of pages will display below it:

To allow only the comments parts, you would select "manage_comments" and "edit_comment", and click Update.

Now, when the administrator logs in, some of the menu items will be faded:

If the administrator clicks on any of the faded menu items, they will see a page like this:

Have you completed the interview?

Hi.

Seems like an useful feature for high traffic websites. The multiple admin feature is hardly usable without some restrictions to the "secondary" moderators.

If I may give one advise learned from my professional experience : Menu entries that are not accessible to a user should be completely hidden, not only greyed out. Users do not like being limited in their actions and if they don't see what they miss, there will be no problem. Wink

Keep on the good work ...

Thanks for your feedback. I understand your point. I've noticed since yesterday that a lot of other admin panels hide the menu items. I understand why now. It will require a bit more coding but I'll change it so they are hidden.

Have you completed the interview?