This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

IP Blacklist

An IP blacklist to prevent well-known spammers would be neat. Make it so that it functions like the other lists.

Actually, this might be a better idea for an add-on. What do you think about it?

I'm giving you three guesses...

It's an interesting idea. Do you mean for the list to be pre-filled when you download Commentics? Do you know a free source of up-to-date spammer IP Addresses in a copyable list format? The list would need to be updated regularly for it to be useful as IP Addresses often change. Maybe the admin panel could issue a warning saying that you haven't updated the list for a while. Even better would be for the script to use an external list but then the server would need to be capable to do that.

Have you completed the interview?

Don't know any lists, but a Google search: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sourc...q=&gs_rfai=
has some useful links. Try Spamhaus.

Thanks but I tried a Google search (as always) before posting. Unless I'm mistaken, that feed seems to be for ISPs and commerical users.

I would be interested in hearing about how and when you think the list should be updated.

I'm not sure, but you can try using the method that you use for the news. Make it retrieve the list from the server once a month, and store it in a text file on the server. Add a small file where users can add their own IPs without being lost in the large list.

Here's an interesting site I found: http://www.stopforumspam.com/
It can be useful for a list of IPs already determined to be spammers.

That's a good resource. I can say that because the forum registration here already integrates with it.

However it doesn't seem to provide a copyable list format that I could put into a text file.

The option might have to be a full integration with its API which actually has its benefits as Commentics could then also check the user's name and email address.