This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Maintenance mode
Question 

Hi there,

when the maintenance mode is activated, the page source code is cut off after the maintenance message.

I guess it's because you let the php file die in the "check_maintenance" function (comments/includes/functions/page.php).

Wouldn't it be better if you switch off the comments display by using a "if then" question?

Bye
... Gert

Hi,

That's right, the maintenance feature uses the die() function to end scripting.

I can see how that could be a problem, like if you have code afterwards that you want run.

It will be fixed in the next version.

Have you completed the interview?

Yeah, I was meaning to report that quite a while ago, but I then forgot. This would break things like php footers and such. How do you plan on circumventing this? Defining a constant that will stop execution of the script when set?

I'm giving you three guesses...

I'll change the check_maintenance() function to return true or false. An if-else statement will be wrapped around the remaining code in commentics.php. If false, it will run the code. If true, it will call a function like show_maintenance().

What about the other die() functions?

There's only the ban function as far as I know.

Is it a problem that the ban function kills the scripting?

Actually, I think that the various checks for page validity also have die() functions. Try an invalid page id.

Ah yes, you're right.

Although really one should never experience those checks, unless of course they mess up the integration. Even then, it shouldn't be a persistent thing.

I think the maintenance feature is slightly different because it's meant to be displayed to people, and could be displayed for a while.

Still, I'll look into making the same fix.