This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Frequent Incorrect Security Key Messages

Hi there,

First, thank you for providing such a good script. I'm very pleased with it and it is exactly what I was looking for. Great work!

Since installing it, I've been getting frequent 'Incorrect Security Key' messages and banned IP addresses. Is this normal, or is there something wrong.

I moved the original installation from localhost to the domain it is now on. Everything seems to work fine.

I'd like to know your thoughts.

Thanks,
Duncan

Hi Duncan,

It's hard to say exactly how normal it is without speaking to other administrators but for the demo here on this website it's quite rare that I see that particular ban reason. To be banned for an incorrect security key, the user would need to manipulate the value of a hidden field in the form. A normal user wouldn't do that so it may be that a bot is trying to auto submit comments to your site. To my knowledge no one has raised an issue about it before. Try submitting a test comment (and make sure you're not detected as the admin at the time because admins can't be banned) and if the comment works then I don't think there's a problem. But if you want to look into it further then view the source code of the page with the form on and get the value for the cmtx_security_key field. It should be 20 characters long and a mixture of letters and numbers. Then make sure that it matches with the security_key in the settings table in the database.

Have you completed the interview?

Hi Steven,

I've checked the security key and it matches the database, so no problem there. I suspect it is bots trying to auto submit comments as you suggest. I'm getting legitimate posts, so the bans are just an annoyance more than anything.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Duncan

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Zey
18-Apr-2019, 09:25 PM