This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Making Changes, Where to look, 2.5

Is there a help file to help in making changes to the look and feel ? I know that the admin section will allow me to control what gets displayed. But if I want to change things like the length of the field boxes or the size of the comment box, where do I do that ? I have read messages posted about a "stylesheet.css" but I can't seem to find that file, just a default.css, maybe the default.css replaced the stylesheet.css I don't know.

I guess the 1st thing I need to know is what file do I need to alter to make changes? The 2nd thing would be what do I look for to make changes (the size of the comment box, length of the name, email etc fields)

For someone like me with no real ability it would be really helpful if those with tons of ability could post some code snippets and where to put them in the css file, for different things for example if you wanted the comments to appear in a highlighted box........

Is there a collection of themes or css files that those with no real ability in customizing can use?

Lastly when I installed 2.5 it all installed fine, but I seem to be stuck in a sort of text mode, for example all the smiles and bb code appear as words rather then graphics. Did I miss a switch someplace or did I turn one off by mistake ?

See below:

[Image: scr1.jpg]

Thanks
Bill

Hi Bill,

To make styling changes like the ones you've mentioned then you would need to edit the stylesheet. This is the /upload/css/default.css file (you're right that it used to be called stylesheet.css). I can give you a few examples of common changes.

To change the width of the text fields (name, email etc), edit the part in red:

.cmtx_field {
border: 1px solid #CCCCCC;
border-radius: 4px 4px 4px 4px;
width: 250px;
box-shadow: 0 1px 1px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.075) inset;
transition: border 0.2s linear 0s, box-shadow 0.2s linear 0s;
vertical-align: middle;
padding: 4px 6px;
font-size: 14px;
font-weight: normal;
background: -webkit-linear-gradient(top, #F2F2F2, #FFFFFF); /* Chrome */
background: -moz-linear-gradient(top, #F2F2F2, #FFFFFF); /* Firefox */
background: -o-linear-gradient(top, #F2F2F2, #FFFFFF); /* Opera */
background: -ms-linear-gradient(top, #F2F2F2, #FFFFFF); /* IE */
background: linear-gradient(top, #F2F2F2, #FFFFFF); /* W3C */
}

Similar to the text field (.cmtx_field) above, if you want to change the width of the select fields or the comment field, then make the same change to .cmtx_select_field and .cmtx_textarea_field respectively. A lot of the other class names should hopefully be self-explanatory.

At this moment there are no other themes apart from the default one. This will change in the future.

From your screenshot it looks like the stylesheet isn't loaded. The first thing to check is the 'Commentics URL' setting in 'Settings -> System' because this URL is used to build the path to where the stylesheet is.

Have you completed the interview?

You hit the nail right on the head, when I set up Commentics I put it in directory "Comments" I later learned that it had to be in directory "comments" for TNG integration I missed changing the uppercase C in the URL, thanks for pointing me in the right direction it all works fine now.

I had found most of the stuff in default.css after I posted.

Just an FYI:

On the control panel the links under help > FAQ, Forum etc all
return:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /forum/ on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Once again Thanks Steven
All the Best
Bill

Thanks for reporting that. I've been experimenting with hotlinking protection to reduce this site's bandwidth but clearly it wasn't set up properly.

Have you completed the interview?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post