This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

How to implemente a local avatar?

Hi,

Is there a way to store the avatars locally instead of using Gravatar.

Sadly, the world has changed and there are a lot of privacy an censorship situations making unreliable to share the user information with others. For many users it is not an option to use Gravatar making it an useless feature.

I wonder if there is a way to upload the images easily or if you have plans to provide an option as letting us to load the images that the user may choose as avatar.

Thank you

Hi this is on theĀ Roadmap and it's currently winning in terms of votes so it's looking likely to be added in the next version once development restarts.

Have you completed the interview?

Would you want it to fall back to the Gravatar if the user hasn't uploaded one locally? You'd then get the best of both worlds.

Where would you want the user to upload it? I was thinking of their user page (where they manage their subscriptions). The only disadvantage is, unless you have the Welcome Email module, the user wouldn't know about that page unless they request to be notified by email of new comments. Even so, I think it's better than it being on the comment form.

Would you want the ability to approve it whenever someone uploads one locally? That's one of the advantages of Gravatar, all of their images are vetted so you can be confident they're suitable for everyone.

Have you completed the interview?

(28-Feb-2021, 10:46 AM)Steven Wrote:  Would you want it to fall back to the Gravatar if the user hasn't uploaded one locally? You'd then get the best of both worlds.

Where would you want the user to upload it? I was thinking of their user page (where they manage their subscriptions). The only disadvantage is, unless you have the Welcome Email module, the user wouldn't know about that page unless they request to be notified by email of new comments. Even so, I think it's better than it being on the comment form.

Would you want the ability to approve it whenever someone uploads one locally? That's one of the advantages of Gravatar, all of their images are vetted so you can be confident they're suitable for everyone.

Gravatar is not an option for privacy and technical reasons. If you want to deploy your own comments service, you do not want other than you involved, otherwise it is easier to insert a "free" service.

Actually, I do not want the user to upload an image because it requires manual verification. My suggestion is easier: simply add a list of nice pics. The user would choose one of them and the developer would replace such list. Maybe someone would sell thematic lists that match the content in a website.

Another easy way is letting the user to choose a colour. The avatar would be a circle or an square with the selected colour. You may manage it easy with CSS.

Most people does not customize the pictures in their profiles and pretty few of them upload a portrait, I do not see a reason to waist time and resources implementing it.

(02-Mar-2021, 04:52 PM)And Wrote:  Most people does not customize the pictures in their profiles and pretty few of them upload a portrait, I do not see a reason to waist time and resources implementing it.

I mean, they do not upload a picture, they are find choosing one ad many modern forums show.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
29-Jul-2020, 09:05 AM
Last Post by Steven
06-Feb-2014, 08:01 PM