This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

storing IPV4-Adresses in the Database

Hi,

my hoster and my website are located in germany. because of this i must respekt some privacy rules for
the visitors of my commentics pages.

is it possible to anonymize the ipv4 adresses last two oktetts, for example like 172.110.xxx.xxx and store
it like this in the database tables "voters", "viewers", "ratings" ... ?

Regards :-)

Hi Dirk,

The IP address is stored to ensure that the visitor can't vote or rate more than once. To anonymize it like that could be done but it would mean that it wouldn't be accurate and therefore would likely result in visitors who have never voted/rated being told that they can't. I'm not sure what the specific details of your law is but it's worth mentioning that the IP address is only stored after the visitor does something and not as soon as they open the page, so I don't know whether a solution might be for you to display a message saying that their IP address will be stored if they interact with the script? That seems to be how many sites have reacted to the cookie law. In the case of the 'viewers' database table, if you're not using that feature then you can disable it in 'Settings -> Viewers' so that it won't store anything.

Have you completed the interview?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by vsantini
05-May-2012, 11:58 PM
Last Post by Norbs
14-Jun-2011, 05:21 AM