This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Missed spam
Thumbs Down 

Apparently, some bots have managed to successfully post messages, bypassing both the captcha and the trap values which alone ban around 250 spambots monthly. The messages roughly look like:
Code:
spammerswebsite.info says...

Hello! Your website is good, Thank you posting Message

Of course, pretty much all spambots' attempts are aimed at the guestbook.php page (obviously), so that also has a certain role in it. A quick fix would be not allowing urls in the name field, and maybe making the trap field a little more random with a rotating list of field names (might throw some bots off). There might also be the possibility of these posts aren't bots, but I highly doubt that since there are misspellings (HELLO,your website si good,think your porting) and repostings with the same "name".

I'm giving you three guesses...

I think the cmtx_comment_detect_link() function should be changed to be a generic function instead of only for the comment field. Then the name and town field can also make use of it. There should be options for whether to reject, approve or ban because in some cases administrators might be okay with a user putting their website address as their name.

Another related problem is that swear and spam words can be entered into the name and town field so a similar solution is required there.

Have you completed the interview?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post