This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Strange Spam Posts on Comments

I'm using Commentics for a comments option on a film I made but in the last two days have started having strange spam messages, like:

'Articles like this are an eapxlme of quick, helpful answers.' posted by 'Mellie'

Any ideas on how to stop this, without making it hard for real people to post comments?

I'm a bit of a Luddite so simple instructions would be MOssst helpful!

Many thanks,

Mark

Hi,

What do you have enabled in terms of the 'Question Captcha' and 'Image Captcha'?

Have you completed the interview?

hi many thanks for the reply!!

where will i find these settings to check? i only have access to the admin panel but not sure where to look

thanks!

They are in Layout -> Form -> Enabled. 'Question' and 'Captcha'.

(30-Aug-2011, 05:33 PM)Steven Wrote:  They are in Layout -> Form -> Enabled. 'Question' and 'Captcha'.

many thanks, they are both unticked!

Okay. You will need either one or the other enabled - ideally the image Captcha as it's better at stopping robot-submitted spam (which is probably what has been happening).

oh many thanks will try!!!

will that let normal people through the net though? :-))

Normal visitors will need to correctly read the characters from the generated image and type them into the supplied field. In most cases it should be easy for them. Sometimes the characters can be a little difficult to read but that's necessary to stop the robots. It's possible to refresh the image by clicking the refresh button which will display a new set of characters, or they can click the audio button which will speak the characters aloud so that they can listen to them.

Another option if the image verification doesn't work is to set it up so you have to approve comments before they are submitted. I think you can have it email you when a comment is posted, that way you see it right away without having to log into the control panel to check.

MANY THANKS for this info!!

any idea where these settings are to approve???

thanks again!!

(07-Sep-2011, 03:55 AM)bluemonkey519 Wrote:  Another option if the image verification doesn't work is to set it up so you have to approve comments before they are submitted. I think you can have it email you when a comment is posted, that way you see it right away without having to log into the control panel to check.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
30-Jan-2011, 12:11 PM