This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Problems translating into Portuguese

Hi, I'm trying to translate commentics into Portuguese and I'm running into some unexplainable issues. I have done as the FAQ suggested, I copied the english language pack into another directory, named "portuguese". The problem is, I change the text on the files, but on the interface the text remains the same. I clear the cache, files, cookies, everything, and still the same text appears. I go so far as to delete the entire directory and still the old text remains on the page. Is the original portuguese text recorded into the database? 
Another weird problem, perhaps related to the one above, is that accented characters are displayed with a question mark. I then changed the accented characters by their html representation, such as replacing "á" for "á" and so on for all the accented characters.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, I don't know what to do anymore.
All the best,
Rubens

Hi Rubens,

Did you change the frontend language setting in 'Extensions -> Languages' in the admin area? It might be that you need to clear the Commentics cache afterwards, which can be done in 'Tools -> Clear Cache'.

I don't recommend using the HTML representation of the accented characters because this wasn't necessary in any of the other languages with those characters, such as French and German. If question marks are displaying, I fix this by opening the language file in Notepad++ and under the Encoding menu select "Convert to UTF-8".

Have you completed the interview?

Yes, I have changed the language settings, back and forth, many times, I have cleared Commentics cache (several times), I have cleared the browser cache, cookies, images, I have used two other different browsers and all that to no avail. I have erased the portuguese directory, recreated it by copying the "english" directory, and an amazing thing happened, it kept showing the old (and wrong) Portuguese translations.

It all points to a cache issue, but I have cleared all the caches I could think of.

I have looked into the database to try to find out whether the translations were recorded there, and it seems they aren't.

It can only be a stupid mistake on my part, but I really don't know where I'm getting it wrong.

That's why I'm so confused.

My test page is at https://www.dicas-l.com.br/dicas-l/cmo.php

Thank for your help

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

It's a difficult one to help with because it sounds like you've done everything already.

I'd be happy to debug it if you could provide me with admin area access and file access (FTP).

You can either PM me here on the forum or in the client area.

Dear Steven,

I found the mistake. I removed all the software and the database and started from scratch. It so happens that I had an old installation, and the pages were reflecting the values in this old installation.

I'm sorry to have wasted your time, commentics is amazing and I hope to be able to repay your attention and your time with a complete translation into Portuguese.

All the best,

Rubens

No problem at all, I'm glad to hear you've got it working.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
23-Feb-2014, 06:13 PM
Last Post by jegranet
13-Sep-2013, 09:31 PM
Last Post by franco66
26-Apr-2012, 11:46 AM
Last Post by ichole
29-Sep-2011, 02:17 AM
Last Post by Lee