This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Closing Comments & Multiple Admins

1= As an editor of a monthly magazine, I would like to be able to close the comments on older issues. Therefore, a reader of an old issue will see 'comments are now closed'.

2= It will also help to have more than one admin person (with two levels of authority?).

You can disable forms for individual pages in Manage -> Pages.

Multiple administrators is a good feature request.

Have you completed the interview?

I have some questions about what you expect from this feature so that I know how to develop it. The more questions answered and the more detail the better:

1. The person installing Commentics will be the 'super admin'. The 'super admin' can, and always can, do everything in the admin panel, including creating new admins. There can only be one 'super admin'. Only the 'super admin' can create new admins. Sound good?

2. When creating a 'normal admin', the 'super admin' enters the 'normal admin' username, password and email address. The 'normal admin' can change these at any time. With the exception of the dashboard, I plan to allow every page in the admin panel to be restricted.

3. When a 'normal admin' tries to access a restricted page, what should happen? Should they be able to even look at the page? Are they allowed to look at it but not save anything? Or something else?

4. Should the 'normal admins' receive admin email? For example, new comment, new ban etc.

5. Do the 'normal admins' need to be detected as the administrator when submitting a comment?

6. Is it important that 'normal admins' are able to enter admin defaults so their form fields are preloaded?

7. Would it be a good sub-feature to record a log of 'normal admin' activity to be reviewed by the 'super admin'?

I doubt that it should be so complicated. This is a comment script after all, not a forum script.

I'm giving you three guesses...

Thanks for the questions.

Q1: Yes sounds good, although I would not be against having another super admin for comments, because if a site is popular it will attract many comments. This will create a need for more than one super admin. For my site, another one will be enough, especially when I need to travel. But think of other users, not just bloggers and personal sites. (I think WordPress has several categories of authority). I have used several comments scripts, including remotely hosted. Yours will have an advantage if you introduce the multi-admin feature.

Q2: I want the normal admin to be able to approve and edit comments. Perhaps editing comments entails deleting them. Perhaps you are right about restricting pages, but I do not have a definite view on that at present.

Q3: The admin is really enlisted to help. He/she should be given some freedom. Again, I am thinking of my site, but if a huge news organization wants to use the script, they may have a different requirement.

Q4: I think normal admin should receive notifications about new comments held for approval. That is the idea of enlisting their help.

Q5: I do not mind having to approve my comments. I tend to be cautious when it comes to comments.

Q6: Preloading: I am not really that sophisticated to answer this question. Believe it or not I am not a developer.

Q7. May be so, but I assume that it will be easy to tell that others have accessed the control panel. May be it is a feature that big organizations would appreciate.

By the way, I meant to tell you that those who wish to receive a notifications when a comment is added should get the notification AFTER the comment is approved, and the message should only say a comment has been added. I am referring here to the option of receiving notifications, if it is enabled.

To help with the testing, I can use the script in the next issue of the magazine (out in three weeks), and if you decide to make it multi-lingual, you can count on an Arabic translation. If it helps to know, I use utf-8 on the web site of the magazine so that Arabic and nonArabic charcters can appear correctly on the same page. Some free services do not encourage me to use them because the labels (name, email etc) of the fields of the form are in English.

======
(09-Aug-2010, 04:33 PM)Steven Wrote:  I have some questions about what you expect from this feature so that I know how to develop it. The more questions answered and the more detail the better:

1. The person installing Commentics will be the 'super admin'. The 'super admin' can, and always can, do everything in the admin panel, including creating new admins. There can only be one 'super admin'. Only the 'super admin' can create new admins. Sound good?

2. When creating a 'normal admin', the 'super admin' enters the 'normal admin' username, password and email address. The 'normal admin' can change these at any time. With the exception of the dashboard, I plan to allow every page in the admin panel to be restricted.

3. When a 'normal admin' tries to access a restricted page, what should happen? Should they be able to even look at the page? Are they allowed to look at it but not save anything? Or something else?

4. Should the 'normal admins' receive admin email? For example, new comment, new ban etc.

5. Do the 'normal admins' need to be detected as the administrator when submitting a comment?

6. Is it important that 'normal admins' are able to enter admin defaults so their form fields are preloaded?

7. Would it be a good sub-feature to record a log of 'normal admin' activity to be reviewed by the 'super admin'?

Thanks for your replies, they help a lot.

Email subscribers won't receive any notification emails for a comment requiring approval until that comment is manually approved and you select to send it out. In other words, if someone submits a comment and it needs approval for whatever reason, then no subscriber will get an email about it until you want them to be notified. The confirmation email on the other hand will be received immediately, there is no delay with that. Another point to consider is that if you are posting a comment as the administrator then the comment and the notification email will be instantly approved.

You can remove the comment itself from the notification email by editing the email in the admin panel.

It doesn't sound like anyone wants any permission control. That should make it easier to implement. I guess the only restriction for 'normal admins' should be not being able to edit or delete other admins?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by alkrav
31-Jul-2020, 09:04 AM
Last Post by Hootie81
01-Oct-2014, 08:55 PM
Last Post by minetick
25-Apr-2012, 01:45 PM
Last Post by Static
31-Dec-2010, 08:05 AM