This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

random page identification

Hi Steven

Not sure that is a bug, but strange, sure. I have now 18 pages on my site which I gave the commenting form on and I noticed that the system doesn't pick the pages as i told it, instead, it random chooses the wrong pages.

O emptied the database, flashed the tables and also optimized the database from within the commentics admin, but no matter what I do, it falls back to always doing the same.

Example: let's take 3 pages
$page_id = "1";
$reference = "Business Servoces All";
(china_business_services.html)

$page_id = "2";
$reference = "Business Registration All";
(business_registration.html)

$page_id = "3";
$reference = "China Trade Development";
(china_trade_development.html)

When visiting these pages, commentics should pick them just like that, right? but it chooses complete different pages. It may pick the first page as is, but the second page would become page 5 (with ID 5) and the 3rd page may become page 9 (with ID 9)

Any idea why this is happening and what I can do to rectify this?

BTW. the most commentics ever picked was 10 out of all the 18 pages, and these pages were all shuffled, only a few were correct.

Cheers
Norbs

I just had a weird idea myself ;-)
I flashed everything again and this time - I visited all 18 pages in sequence, as in 1/2/3/4/5/...
and that was accepted.

That would mean that every page that is added needs to be visited before the next page is added, or, like in my case if I add many pages in one go, I need to just visit them in sequence. Otherwise they may not be recognized as.

Not a big deal, I know now what to do. ;-) but you may pass this to anyone else who experiences the same.

RGDS
Norbs

Steven, sorry to bother...

Everything was fine (and at the front end it all looks fine) I even went into the admin 2 times afterwards, but now - all of a sudden, I get an internal serve error (500)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Server error
The website encountered an error while retrieving http://chinabiz21.com/myplace/adminsection/index.php. It may be down for maintenance or configured incorrectly.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this webpage later.
HTTP Error 500 (Internal Server Error): An unexpected condition was encountered while the server was attempting to fulfill the request.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nothing is down, absolutely sure, and everything looks fine, you can check yourself on the site www dot chinabiz21 dot com

I can login into the sections, such as membership section, newsletter section, etc and all is fine there but I can no longer login into the commentics admin and only get the 500 error.

Any idea on what's happening here?

Thanks a lot
Norbs

Found that one too.

Well a 500 error is usually (in most cases) some .htaccess problem, right?

I encountered lately some big problems with cPanel after their latest updates. One of these problems is, if you use cPanels IP deny manager, the entry they place into the .htaccess file WILL CAUSE a 500 error. I just figured that out an hour ago and now I do the entry manually, that works (and since a .htaccess file is a UNIX thing and has nothing to do with cPanel, I hope it works, too.

HOWEVER, and this is even worse, it's ridiculous as a matter of fact, cPanel also placed an entry into other .htaccess files. one of them the commentics and that caused the error. I removed the entry and now everything is back to normal...

I don't know what's really going on at the cPanel camp, but cPanel is getting worse, from one update to the next... We really should get together and create something better, there is a niche market, that's for sure ;-)

So here my message to everyone else ... in case of an 500 error - check your .htaccess file, even if it wouldn't make sense that something might have changed... you never know what cPanel is doing without you knowing!

Hi,

I was wondering if the Page ID issue was related to this?
http://www.commentics.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=484
http://www.commentics.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=445

It's surprising that cPanel could make such a simple and yet big mistake. I can't say I've ever used their IP deny manager, I've always just entered them manually using FTP. But now I know to continue this way.

Have you completed the interview?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Koksi
22-Nov-2012, 03:19 PM