This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Snippet help needed {title problem}

Hi,

I need help with my snippets for some reason upon a good search for my indexed pages it shows a bad url link here I'm just testing the script at the moment but i would like to get the snippet to be on the homepage hostdebate.com as opposed to the extension thanks. I'm afraid of duplicate issues, and the urls don't look attractive. The only solution i can think of is putting these urls {...?cmtx_sort=4} into robots.txt and disabling them and adding snippets myself to the index.php.

Jack

Hi Jack,

I see that the Rich Snippets are not displaying for your homepage but they are displaying for the URLs containing "cmtx_sort" and "cmtx_page". This seems to be a decision which Google has made, as the Rich Snippets mark-up would have been added on your homepage but for some reason Google decided not to display it.

If you do a similar search for "site:commentics.org/project.php" you'll see that the Rich Snippets are displaying for the standard URL project.php (without "cmtx_sort" and "cmtx_page"), and also for the URLs containing "cmtx_sort" and "cmtx_page". So, it can work, it just depends on what Google decides.

It looks like you've disabled Rich Snippets at the moment so I can't make sure that your homepage has the mark-up added but it should be. When it's enabled, you might want to confirm this with the Rich Snippets Testing Tool just to make sure.

If you don't want the Rich Snippets on the URLs containing "cmtx_sort" and "cmtx_page" then you have a couple of options:

1. You could make a small adjustment to the code so that the Rich Snippets are only added if the "cmtx_sort" and "cmtx_page" parameters are not there. If you want want this option then let me know and I'll respond with the adjustment to make.

2. You could tell Google not to index the pages with "cmtx_sort" and "cmtx_page". As you said this could be done with robots.txt.

I think both of the above options would encourage Google to display Rich Snippets on your homepage.

If you wanted to index the pages with "cmtx_sort" and "cmtx_page", I believe stariocek's 'SEO Optimizer' add-on can take care of the duplicate issues.

Personally I take no notice whether a URL looks "attractive" or not.

P.S. I wasn't sure what you meant by "bad URL link". Are you talking about the "2 - " part in the title? Commentics has no control over the title tag, so you'll need to explain this a bit more if you think this is a Commentics issue.

Have you completed the interview?

Thanks Steven, i believe option 1 is what i'm looking and would love your help Smile but i'd want to also do option two just because i don't want the duplicates showing up Smile Also i checked to see if the markup was showing up on the homepage in googles tool and it showed up on the test but not on the actual index, very strange.. P.S i can handle option two myself but not number one as i'm a complete php noob, haha.

Also steven if i can add to my last post, i'm not in need of the sorting urls as i have disabled the combo-box via the admin panel would an easier solution be to just get rid of these extensions thus encouraging google to add the snippet to the homepage ?
And then i would only have to disallow the page urls.

Feel free to just disregard if this solution isn't viable, as i said before i'm not good with php at-all. Hahaha

Thanks again

Steve,

As per your comment about the titles, i have no idea where the '2' is coming
from could you help me so that i can get rid of it, the source code of the page shows it without the 2 which means its within the php, right ?

Thanks, for talking the time to help me Smile

Regarding option one, open /comments/includes/template/comments.php and add the part in red:

if (cmtx_setting('rich_snippets') && cmtx_setting('show_average_rating') && cmtx_average_rating() != 0 && !isset($_GET['cmtx_sort']) && !isset($_GET['cmtx_page']) && !isset($_GET['cmtx_perm'])) {

Regarding the title, you must have had "2" in the title when Google last indexed those pages.

Maybe you were using an add-on or had made some type of alteration to the title which you have since removed.

Hopefully Google will update their indexes soon for your website and the "2" will be gone.

Thanks for taking the time to help me will implement this asap regarding the title i have no idea how it happened but it doesn't matter as i'll be adding them to the disallow: on robots.txt

~Jack

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
25-Mar-2015, 07:06 PM
Last Post by stariocek
29-Jul-2013, 09:51 AM