This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Refused Name, Town, Country

We have a new Commentics installation and were putting through our first test comment at http://www.travelsofayoungman.com/blog.htm . After entering the following fields, I received the corresponding error messages:
Name = Peter da Great : The name must start with a letter and optionally contain - & . '
Town = San Clemente : The town must start with a letter and optionally contain - & . '
Country = US : The selected country is invalid. Please contact the administrator.

The name and town entered do start with a letter, and the "US' was selected from the picklist provided.

I did check the forum but found no messages about this. Any tips about overcoming this would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter

In trying variants of the above, I found that if I left blank the Town and made no Country selection, the comment form accepted my name and worked as expected. With either the Town or Country entered, the problem reappeared.

Hi Peter,

Try using a standard doctype.

Instead of:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//SoftQuad Software//DTD HoTMetaL PRO 6.0::19990601::extensions to HTML 4.0//EN" "hmpro6.dtd">

Try this:
Code:
<!DOCTYPE html>

If that doesn't work, try uploading the example.php file which came with the Commentics download package and test with that.

Have you completed the interview?

Thanks for the DOCTYPE tip. That fixed the valid city rejection, but the country rejection continues, and those are values from your picklist.

We did review the example.php and found no substantial change from our implementation -- unless we overlooked something.

Meanwhile, I removed the error checking for city and country, and now it all works well, except of course we no longer check those values.

If you have any more tips, let me know.

I have same name problem. And I upload your code to server and my host says "Does not validate". How can I solve this? Now I can not change my host. Please help.

Please post a link to your website.

I send it with pm

I remove "!" before preg_match so It is working but it is not use regex with name. Can be a problem ?

In my case, it's only the name that is not accepted if (and only if) it contains a number, even at the end of the name or in the middle of it. In that case I get "The name must start with a letter and optionally contain - & . ' "
I first thought something was wrong with my web pages, but then I tried the demo on this site, and it does the same... Is there any way I can avoid this on my website?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
18-Apr-2012, 11:45 AM