This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Issue with script

Hi I've been thinking about using commentics and it is impressive, but there is an issue that comes up. The extra step of having the person have to verify subscription creates a problem.

Lets say someone posts a question, and sets it to receive email updates. They expect to receive an alert of whatever is posted next. Then I or someone else post a response, then they will miss the follow up post unless they have already activated their subscription first.

In other words there is an interim period before they activate the subscription in which they miss what's being posted.

Is there a way to disable this extra step as it creates this problem. Also the whole confirmation seems a bit unnecessary if they can so easily unsubscribe. Am i missing something?

Hi,

I understand your point however it really is a must that the user confirms their subscription, otherwise anyone could subscribe anyone and it would also violate laws.

The script tells the user after posting that a confirmation email has been sent and the email should arrive instantly so I think it's realistic that it should be confirmed within only a few minutes. As the admin, you may want to wait a few minutes before replying just to allow for that.

In my opinion the ideal solution would be that if there is a new comment inbetween, then it would say so on the confirmation success page.

So to answer your question directly, there is no way to disable this extra step and I don't view it as a bug.

I don't see your connection between the unsubscribe process needing to be as "hard" as the confirmation process. Unsubscribing from something should always be easy. People hate websites that make them log in first or have to select a reason. I think there are laws regarding this too.

Although I don't agree with you, I appreciate your post and I hope that you use the script.

Have you completed the interview?

(18-Aug-2014, 06:16 PM)Steven Wrote:  In my opinion the ideal solution would be that if there is a new comment inbetween, then it would say so on the confirmation success page.

I don't see your connection between the unsubscribe process needing to be as "hard" as the confirmation process. Unsubscribing from something should always be easy. People hate websites that make them log in first or have to select a reason. I think there are laws regarding this too.

Although I don't agree with you, I appreciate your post and I hope that you use the script.

A lot of people don't check their email very often, and they would expect to receive any follow up comments in their email (if they check the box), so yes, some kind of notification or even delay so that they receive the interim comments would be nice.

I think unsubscribing should be super easy and it is with this script, so the point was that when it's easier to unsubscribe than to subscribe there is little potential for people being harassed. Between the optional radio button to subscribe and a big "unsubscribe" in every email notification I would think that theres no way it could be legally considered spam, but nothing wrong with the extra step, just suggesting an improvement.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
21-Aug-2023, 08:03 PM
Last Post by Steven
16-Oct-2017, 08:11 AM
Last Post by CapsR
16-Aug-2011, 10:13 PM