This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Integration with other scripts

Steven I'll aim this at you, but I would also like to hear if any other users have experience with other scripts.
And I appologise if this is a bit of mouthful, I have been trying commentics out locally and I'm still impressed, I had a few issues with the layout and CSS conflicts, but that is sorted, and I have had a rummage around in the database tables (I was one of those kids who when I got a new toy, I took it to pieces to see how it worked - long time ago), anyway my first question isn't really about how commentics works, it's how does commentics hold up when you start using things like website membership logins, forums, and e-commerce, is there a way to get these working together or do users have to have different logins for various parts of a site.
A question directly about commentics, are there settings to turn off the question and captcha after a given number of posts per user, or is it on/off per user, or on/off for the whole site.
PS I quite like this forum as well, which system have you used?

Well Commentics itself currently doesn't have any type of login feature meaning that all posts are made by guest users. Therefore it's not possible to differentiate the users in order to do things like turn off the captcha if they've posted a certain amount of times. You can turn off the captcha for everyone but not per user. In the next version what I'm thinking of doing is enforcing the name to match with the email address, so for example if I post using the name 'Steven' and the email address 'steven@test.com' anyone after that point who tries to use the name 'Steven' would need to enter the email address 'steven@test.com', and anyone who uses the email address 'steven@test.com' would need to enter the name 'Steven'. Since a user's email address is often a secret this would in effect be a very rudimentary login system and would pave the way for features like showing how many times the user has posted and how many total likes their comments have received etc. At some stage there may be a proper login system using passwords but that's not going to happen anytime soon. If your website already has a login feature then you can of course supply these details to Commentics so that the form fields are pre-filled and then there are settings in the admin panel to make those fields read-only or hidden. This forum is powered by MyBB which I highly recommend.

Have you completed the interview?

OK I am running this locally at the moment and each time I goto the test site the fields for name and e-mail are prefilled, and I just thought it was recognizing the user, but it looks like it just retains the last details entered, or is it reading cookies?

It's using cookies. It will only store the cookie when the user selects the "Remember my form inputs on this computer" checkbox when posting.

Have you completed the interview?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Ben
24-Aug-2023, 02:16 AM
Last Post by nsuomine
20-Jan-2023, 08:32 AM
Last Post by Steven
23-Jan-2019, 02:07 PM
Last Post by news
18-Dec-2017, 09:15 AM