This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Softaculous update and breaking changes

Hello Steven,

Great to see that the update is ready. Thanks very much for that and I look forward to getting it installed. A few questions if I may. I got a hold of Softaculous to see when they may update their install (as that's how I installed my copy of Commentics) and they say there are some things they need to clear up with you first. Anyway, regardless of how long that may take them, I've noticed in your upgrade instructions that Commentics should be put in Maintenance Mode, etc. Would you therefore be against a Softaculous update, or would you say that it would be the same as the manual install/update (once they get it right)?

Secondly, seeing how I already adapted version 2.5 for my blog's mobile site, I'm wondering if you can tell me if any of the following files will be affected by the update:

/css/default.css
/includes/english/form.php
/includes/functions/comments.php
/includes/template/form.php

And in my own mobiles.css file I have the following code, which may conflict with the fact that Commentics is now responsive.

Code:
.cmtx_name_field, .cmtx_email_field, .cmtx_website_field, .cmtx_textarea_field, .cmtx_comment_box_1, .cmtx_comment_box_2, .cmtx_admin_comment_box_1, .cmtx_admin_comment_box_2, .cmtx_no_comments_text {
   width: 286px !important;
   margin-left: 10px;
}

Having pointed that all out, I'm wondering if the easiest thing to do would be to do a database backup, and then if not a regular update to see what happens, then just do a fresh install, import from backup, and then having saved the files I changed, copy over any necessary code for the minor changes I made to 2.5 if need be.

Any thoughts on any of that?

Cheers,

Allan

Steven,

Sorry about this post/thread of mine, but as I've now realised, you can delete it if you'd like. I didn't bother looking at the actual update instructions thinking there's be all this coding jargon that'd go over my head, to go along with MYSQL stuff and whatnot. But having just read it it's actually massively easy. I'll do as it says and having saved the files I changed in 2.5 I'll just try and figure out what needs to be added back in -- shouldn't be too hard.

Thanks again,

Allan

Hi Allan,

Yes I spoke to a member of Softaculous on Monday and I believe they're now able to update their install if they haven't already. To be honest I'm not familiar with their install so I can't say either way if it would be a good way to upgrade. As you've found, the upgrade process is pretty simple. It's basically just deleting all the v2.5 files, uploading all the v3.0 files and then running the installer (selecting to upgrade during it). The reason for the whole replacement is that the fileset between the two versions is vastly different so you'll need to re-apply your custom changes but I'm sure it will be worthwhile.

Have you completed the interview?

Hello Steven,

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, I did a double-check (good thing I did!) and I noticed that the shared server I'm with only has MySQL "5.5.53-MariaDB". And even if I got a VPS with them, they say that that's also only with 5.5 and I'd have to install 5.6 myself if I wanted it. Disappointing (meaning them, not Commentics). It's a long shot, but for sure the new Commentics won't work with that old MySQL version I have, right?

Allan

Hi Allan,

It will work with your MySQL version if you open both (even if only upgrading) these files ..

/upload/install/model/main/install_2.php
/upload/install/model/main/upgrade_2.php

.. and replace each instance of this ..

Code:
datetime NOT NULL default NOW()

.. with this ..

Code:
datetime NOT NULL

The reason is because only MySQL 5.6.5 or higher allows a default to be set for 'datetime'. The script should work the same because it doesn't rely on the default. I just think it's good practice to set one in case either myself or a module developer will ever need it in the future.

Darn...

Quote:The failures in red are preventing the installer from continuing
A system check is being performed ...
MySQL is 5.6.5 or higher           Fail          You must have MySQL 5.6.5 or higher.

I'm not sure, but that could be why the Softaculous installer, which I see has now updated Commentics to 3.0, doesn't offer the option for updating to 3.0.

Hi Allan,

If you've made the replacements and that's the only failure message then it will be fine to skip that step by changing 'route=system' to 'route=menu' in the URL.

Hmmm. Now I'm being told that "There are no database tables. Have you installed the programme?" Strange, seeing how it accepted my passwords after not accepting them due to a typo I'd made. Sorry about this. Any thoughts?

Hi Allan,

It might be that you're using a database table prefix. If you view your database in phpMyAdmin, do all of the tables start with the same characters, for e.g. 'cmtx_comments' and 'cmtx_admins'? If so, you'll need to open the config.php file (/upload/config.php) and put e.g. 'cmtx_' as the value for the prefix.

Hello Steven,

Ah, okay, I think I get it now. It's probably because I originally did a Softaculous install that it's throwing things off for a proper upgrade. Whoops.

Likewise, as I'm thinking about setting up a new blog with Ghost, its makers told me that they highly suggest avoiding using Softaculous since its install is "magic" by which they have no idea what's going on and so have a hard time trouble-shooting. I now understand why they say that.

Anyway, I tried doing what you said but I think I'm doing something wrong as I still get the same message. The config.php file has this inside it:

Code:
<?php
/* Database Details */
define('CMTX_DB_DATABASE', 'XXXXXX_comm123');
define('CMTX_DB_USERNAME', 'XXXXXX_comm122');
define('CMTX_DB_PASSWORD', 'XXXXXX');
define('CMTX_DB_HOSTNAME', 'localhost');
define('CMTX_DB_PORT', '');
define('CMTX_DB_PREFIX', '');
define('CMTX_DB_DRIVER', 'mysqli');
?>

And under XXXXXX_comm123 the phpMyAdmin thing states:

Code:
cm_access
cm_admins
cm_attempts
cm_bans
cm_comments
cm_logins
cm_pages
cm_questions
cm_ratings
cm_reporters
cm_setting
cm_subscirbers
cm_version
cm_viewers
cm_voters

Is it something within all this that I'm supposed to be changing?

(As an aside, seeing how I have a backup of my database, might it be easier if I just erase my Softaculous install and do a full/proper install of 3.0, then import the database?)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
11-Mar-2014, 09:33 PM
Last Post by Steven
13-Feb-2013, 07:04 PM