This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Approve Notification

Hello,

The following is in reference to an option in the Settings>Approval section:

Approve Notification:  [ ]  (If this is selected, the admin must always approve the notification email which is sent to subscribers.)

Which notification email is being referred to here?

Thanks for your help,

Neo

Hi Neo,

It's referring to the notification email which subscribers receive when a new comment is posted.

There are 3 types of these emails with the subjects:

[name], there's a new comment!
[name], the Admin has posted!
[name], you have a reply!

So if that setting is enabled, each time someone posts a comment, you would need to go to Manage -> Comments and click the Send button. It's useful if you're concerned your subscribers might receive an email where someone has posted a spam comment but you're less concerned about it appearing on your page, if that makes sense.

Have you completed the interview?

Thanks Steven, yes it makes sense.

So basically in Manage > Comments, there is no column which says whether the comment is a reply or not (this can be viewed in 'edit'). That doesn't matter however, because as long as all the comments are acceptable, i can just 'select all' and hit send. this way the notifications for the comments which were replies, will be sent. right? so basically all rows will be marked as sent, but the sent would be meaningless for comments for which there were no notifications pending in the first place.

also since we're on the topic of notifications, I wanted to confirm the following points:
1. The 'Notify me of new comments via email' radio button has the same functionality as later clicking 'notify me' (which has an envelope icon next to it.)
2. Clicking on the subscription link in an email automatically activates the subscription and the subscription is set to 'Everything'.

One last question. When the subscription link opens up in the browser, 'Everything' is already selected. Hitting 'custom' automatically selects the following three.

a. Admin comments
b. Replies to my comments
c. When my comment is approved

Does the 'Everything' option contain all of the above three PLUS new comments, regardless of whether they are replies?

(22-Jan-2019, 12:02 AM)nexus21 Wrote:  So basically in Manage > Comments, there is no column which says whether the comment is a reply or not (this can be viewed in 'edit').

Yes you have to edit the comment to find out if it's a reply or not.

(22-Jan-2019, 12:02 AM)nexus21 Wrote:  That doesn't matter however, because as long as all the comments are acceptable, i can just 'select all' and hit send. this way the notifications for the comments which were replies, will be sent. right? so basically all rows will be marked as sent, but the sent would be meaningless for comments for which there were no notifications pending in the first place.

Yes that all seems correct.

(22-Jan-2019, 12:02 AM)nexus21 Wrote:  The 'Notify me of new comments via email' radio button has the same functionality as later clicking 'notify me' (which has an envelope icon next to it.)

Yes same functionality.

(22-Jan-2019, 12:02 AM)nexus21 Wrote:  Clicking on the subscription link in an email automatically activates the subscription and the subscription is set to 'Everything'.

Yes that's right. 'Everything' is the default. You can change the default for this in Settings -> Processor.

(22-Jan-2019, 12:02 AM)nexus21 Wrote:  When the subscription link opens up in the browser, 'Everything' is already selected. Hitting 'custom' automatically selects the following three.

a. Admin comments
b. Replies to my comments
c. When my comment is approved

Does the 'Everything' option contain all of the above three PLUS new comments, regardless of whether they are replies?

Yes that's right. I appreciate it's a little ambiguous. I considered adding a fourth checkbox like "d. Everything else" which would have the same result as "Everything". Do you think it could be worded better?

Have you completed the interview?

Thanks very much for your answers and clarifications.

I would suggest the following four radio buttons.

a (.) Any new comment. (checked)
b ( ) New comments that are replies to my comments. (unchecked)
c (.) Admin comments. (checked)
d (.) When my comment is approved. (checked)

Initially (a), ©, and (d) are checked.
If the user checks (b), then (a) is automatically unchecked.
If the user afterwards checks (a) again, (b) is automatically unchecked.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by GeeRL
02-Sep-2012, 03:40 PM
Last Post by Norbs
15-Jun-2011, 05:01 AM