This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Auto approve reserved emails

Hi,

I have set up to manually approve all comments but I also have the reserved email list set to "Approve". I was hoping that this would allow comments from the reserved list to be automatically approved, overriding the manual setting. However, the setting for reserved emails seems to be ignored.

I am struggling to see the point of the "Approve" setting for the reserved emails list. It seemed an obvious way to restrict commenting to a predetermined set of email addresses.

Have I missed something?

Thanks
Gee

Hi,

The purpose of the reserved emails is to stop users from entering the email address of an administrator. This will stop them from:

1. Subscribing your email address to receive new comment notifications
2. Impersonating you by using your Gravatar image
3. etc

It's similar to the reserved names, where it stops the user from entering a name like 'admin'.

Only an administrator can post using reserved emails, names and websites. And they have to be detected as the administrator (using Settings -> Admin Detection) at the time of posting.

By selecting "Approve", you are saying that you want to manually approve anyone who enters a reserved email address. However, as you are approving all comments, this setting won't make any difference.

The functionality that you want doesn't exist at this time. As you are manually approving all comments then the only time that a comment will be auto-approved is when posting as an administrator. It's not possible to auto-approve a particular user, only administrators.

Have you completed the interview?

Thanks for the clear response.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by nexus21
24-Jan-2019, 06:04 PM
Last Post by Norbs
15-Jun-2011, 05:01 AM