This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Topic rating and share links are nested inside comments

They're underneath the sort by/search/topic bar so it seems like you're rating or sharing the top comment and not the page (or topic) as a whole.

I'd love to have a "Rating/Share" widget I could place separately from the comment stream (to place it up near the top of the page).  This would then clearly show it's a rating of the page/top as a whole and let that be a highlighted piece of information up front.  The standard comments section would then still live at then end of the page as is standard.

While I'm comfortable with php, after looking around the code for a few hours I didn't spot any simply way to separate those elements out.  The template system, while awesome, doesn't allow me to move anything to a separate widget without a significant re-write and I really don't want to be hacking through the code that much as it would make updates a nightmare (even with the modifications xml system).

I searched this forum and didn't see anything that would fit what I'm after either so unless I want to write my own system I'm think

Any chance I'm missing  something obvious and there is a way to do this?
Or is it just never going to happen and I should move on with my life?

Thanks!

Hi kaysik,

As you mentioned, this would be challenging and make future upgrades quite difficult.

You could just swap the rating and share widgets to where the sort by/search/topic widgets are. In your admin area if you go to 'Settings -> Layout -> Comments' and click the link at the top of the page to go to the general layout settings, you should see a page where you can change the positioning of everything. Doing that should make it a bit clearer to users that they're not rating and sharing the top comment.

Have you completed the interview?

Thanks for the confirmation. I'll make something work. Even without that functionality, not having to roll my own comments system is still a huge win! Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Tim
06-Jan-2021, 08:56 PM
Last Post by Tim
18-Oct-2019, 11:45 AM
Last Post by Gevill
23-Jul-2019, 01:17 AM
Last Post by Seven Thunders
21-Aug-2018, 04:05 AM
Last Post by Steven
16-Feb-2018, 09:15 AM