This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Allowing users to delete their comments.
Brick 

I want to allow users to delete or edit comments they've made because commentics was implemented on my site for two days and somebody already complained that they cannot undo a mistake. =D

I theorized that I can change the comment submission function to write the user's PHP session into the "notes" portion of the comment's database entry (perhaps I'm mistaken, but it seems to be not used for anything much?), and then later when showing comments, make a test if the current viewer's PHP session matches the comment's stored PHP session and if the comment has no replies, then add a link to delete the comment.

Would that work, and how can I implement it? Potentially, it would be nice to allow users to edit their comments in the same fashion.

Hello, this is currently on theĀ roadmap so it's likely to be implemented at some point. Unfortunately it's too complex to provide instructions on how to develop it. I can say though that the 'notes' column is used to store automated information such as the reason why a comment requires approval, or to state that an admin posted the comment. Also, if you allow users to delete their comment, that might cause a problem with flooding detection. To overcome that it could be an idea to replace their comment with something like "Comment deleted by author", and then the comment is properly deleted later on by a scheduled task.

Have you completed the interview?

(05-Nov-2022, 09:10 PM)Steven Wrote:  Hello, this is currently on theĀ roadmap so it's likely to be implemented at some point. Unfortunately it's too complex to provide instructions on how to develop it. I can say though that the 'notes' column is used to store automated information such as the reason why a comment requires approval, or to state that an admin posted the comment. Also, if you allow users to delete their comment, that might cause a problem with flooding detection. To overcome that it could be an idea to replace their comment with something like "Comment deleted by author", and then the comment is properly deleted later on by a scheduled task.

Ah, okay, I'll wait for the update then, thanks! ^^

...By the way, I did not see your reply until I pressed the "quote this message in a reply" button and saw it in the quote tag:

[Image: 0f9357f3384cbf19d4269b85bca24744.png]

Thanks, was an issue with one of the forum plugins, should be sorted now.

Have you completed the interview?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Tim
06-Jan-2021, 08:56 PM
Last Post by Tim
18-Oct-2019, 11:45 AM
Last Post by Gevill
23-Jul-2019, 01:17 AM
Last Post by Steven
16-Feb-2018, 09:15 AM
Last Post by Steven