This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Multiple pages session problem

I am using commentics with a website with thousands of review pages.(PHP created) it looks like google crawled the site so that it went to many of the pages. It looks like commentics created a "session" per page ( This from the tech at networksolutions) so I had thousands of files in the session folder and it ran out of space. Is this a thing? do I have to manage deleting sessions daily? I will do some research about sessions but I was just hoppeing some one in the Forum had seen this before and solved it.

Norm

Hi,

I haven't seen this exact problem before, but if you look at the session_start() function, it says that it "creates a session or resumes the current one". So it should be resuming the session, although it may be that the server is treating search engines differently.

It might work better if a session name is supplied, like this.
PHP Code:
<?php
session_name
("commentics");
session_start();
ob_start();
?>

I'll look into this further.

Have you completed the interview?

(01-Aug-2011, 05:14 PM)Steven Wrote:  
PHP Code:
<?php
session_name
("commentics");
session_start();
ob_start();
?>
I will use this tonight. The thing is, I haven't looked at the "thousands of file" that the network solutions guy claimed we had since I didnt have access to that folder until today. He mentioned the date when the files started to appear and that was when I installed commentics and it is the only part of my web site that uses sessions ( and a cheese admin page that only once a day I check)

I looked at the files, about 40k files. Most likely it was one of those DOS attacks because about 20 files were open on the same time ( second ) and so I had 20 files per second for a few minutes every day. Changed servers but I haven't had a chance to look at the sessions with the new NAMED SESSION code. Will post once I know more.
P.S.
Please before you get a VPS make sure you get ( in writing) that you are getting at least PHP 5.2 installed (5.3 is better) or they will give you an old server that can not be upgraded and you will have to pay extra fees for a "good" server. ( the big companies will do this scam).

I am happy to report "It was not commentics" with all the SESSION junk. this was a shared server and someone was using wordpress or something like that.
Now I moved to godaddy from network solutions.

my captcha does not work anymore if I name the session. Dont name your sessions for commentics in godaddy. In general it might be better not to name your sessions. my site has over 1million pages (php generated ) and I had no trouble with it. I am keeping an eye on sessions and it looks like there is no problem whatsoever.

Thank you,
Norm

Hi,

Okay, thanks for the update that Commentics was not to blame.

Have you completed the interview?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by afoster
02-Jun-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post by Steven
10-Mar-2017, 10:35 PM
Last Post by daniel
20-Jan-2017, 06:32 PM
Last Post by pizzaboi
17-Nov-2016, 10:38 PM