This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Adding a Title

Hi Steven,

I have been using your software for a while now and I really like it. Today I figured out what is missing for me; What I need to do; is turn your commenting system into a Review system. The only field that I can see that needs to be added to the comments table would be a title field.
I can do this easily, but changing the core code to capture a the field and store it is probably more than I can do.
I will try to add the field to the code, if you can give me some pointers.

Thanks again for a great product.

Chris

Hi,

By title, do you mean a summary of the comment? Sometimes when I hear the word title I think of salutation (Mr and Mrs), so you might want to take that into consideration.

Where in the comment box would you display it?

It's quite a big adjustment to make. I'm not sure I could explain it. Instead I could consider adding it to the next version if you provide the details of how you would like it implemented.

Have you completed the interview?

I don't actually want it as part of the comment. If you look at Tripadvisor, you see that each review has a title. Instead of just commenting on something, I want to add a title field that can be searched and sorted.
It would be a separate from the comment box.

Hope that explains it better.

Thanks

Chris

(15-May-2012, 09:21 PM)Steven Wrote:  Hi,

By title, do you mean a summary of the comment? Sometimes when I hear the word title I think of salutation (Mr and Mrs), so you might want to take that into consideration.

Where in the comment box would you display it?

It's quite a big adjustment to make. I'm not sure I could explain it. Instead I could consider adding it to the next version if you provide the details of how you would like it implemented.

Hi,

I just took a look at tripadvisor.co.uk. What I saw was a "Title of your review" field when adding a review. This seems like what I called a summary type field. It appears that this summary is then displayed above each comment in a large blue font. This in effect is within each 'comment box'. I also saw a section at the top of the page where you can click on small phrases like "Room service (10)" and this allows you to search/sort the comments (reviews) to show only the comments containing that phrase. It's almost like a tag system. It's not clear to me how exactly those phrases are chosen, whether there's an algorithm picking out common words, or whether there's a tag field which I didn't notice where the user can enter tags for the comment. I hope I've managed to clarify what we're talking about so I can now understand what you mean. I'm sure it's just a case of terminology getting in the way.

Have you completed the interview?

Hi Steven,

Thats exactly what I want. The title is really just a brief description that describes the contents of the comment field. this allows the comments to be indexed and sorted by description. Its also a easy way to preview the contents of the actual comment without seeing the comment.

The other parts that appear at the top of the tripadvisor page are not needed, or can be calculated externally to Commentics.

Hope I have clarified what it is I want.

Thanks

Chris

(16-May-2012, 02:02 PM)Steven Wrote:  Hi,

I just took a look at tripadvisor.co.uk. What I saw was a "Title of your review" field when adding a review. This seems like what I called a summary type field. It appears that this summary is then displayed above each comment in a large blue font. This in effect is within each 'comment box'. I also saw a section at the top of the page where you can click on small phrases like "Room service (10)" and this allows you to search/sort the comments (reviews) to show only the comments containing that phrase. It's almost like a tag system. It's not clear to me how exactly those phrases are chosen, whether there's an algorithm picking out common words, or whether there's a tag field which I didn't notice where the user can enter tags for the comment. I hope I've managed to clarify what we're talking about so I can now understand what you mean. I'm sure it's just a case of terminology getting in the way.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
14-Aug-2010, 12:29 PM