This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Comment Title & BBcode

Great script, but there is something missing. The title of a comment could be favorable.

Also, is it hard to implement bbcode or something like it? Prefferably as an add-on, because people might not like it if it's too bloated.

I'm giving you three guesses...

Commentics actually had BB Code as a feature only a few days before the demo launched.

It had the following tags:
  • Bold
  • Italic
  • Underline
  • Strike
  • Subscript
  • Superscript
  • Bullet list
  • Numeric list
  • Code
  • PHP code
  • Hyperlink

They displayed as a horizontal row just above the smilies and you could disable all or individual tags in the admin panel.

I used 'htmLawed' to protect the rest of the page from any broken tags.

I had to remove the BB Code as there was a security issue regarding inline styling.

I kept the version with them so that I can return to it at some point.

Have you completed the interview?

That would be great to see image and hyperlink make a return at some point.

My brother's an IT guy and created a website when he and his wife had triplets a couple years ago. Don't think my sister in law is keen on editing code and FTPing weekly updates on the kids along with pictures. Sent an IM this morning telling him about Commentics and how much quicker it would be for both of them without drastic changes to the code to implement (which is what kept me from adding a Comment section to my site - seemed it had to be a blog or forum).

Keep up the great work Steven and Static. I'll continue with the layman's vision and debuggin'.

There will be an automatic link parsing feature in v1.1.

You will be able to enter just a plain link inside the comment and it will automatically be converted to be clickable.

http://www.commentics.org/forum/showthre...d=67#pid67

Would it be possible for me to get the source for the bbcode? I would like to take a look at it, and see if I could help fix it.

What's the position of the backend demo?

I've decided to look into re-adding the BB Code for v1.2 so it's something which I'm going to be working on in the next few days. I'll add it to the roadmap in a minute and I'll share the code with you if I have any problems or need any feedback.

The admin panel demo is on the 'to-do list'. It doesn't have great priority though. Is there a particular reason why you're asking about it?

Also, as this project is only a part-time hobby which I'm doing for free, I'm going to be spending just a little less time with it than in the last few weeks, especially as I feel that the big issues such as the parameter problem and UTF-8 have been sorted and I'm now getting, well, less urgent feedback.

OK, waiting for the bbcode.

So, your planning on pushing this script a little further, and when everyone is pretty much satisfied, occasionally check what's going on, right?

No that's not right. I'll always be adding and improving the script and will never ever be content. I plan to take the script a massive amount further, not just a little further. What I'm trying to say is that I have other things in my life so I can't be on the forum all the time and therefore I'd really appreciate some patience when it comes to things like the admin panel demo.

Sorry, didn't mean to put on any pressure.

I plan to implement all of the BB Code as above except for the hyperlink as that's now converted automatically. Does that sound okay? Also there will be a setting for whether to approve images or not.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by mariank
22-Dec-2013, 09:36 AM
Last Post by Steven
21-Apr-2013, 05:26 PM
Last Post by sandman
16-May-2012, 05:20 PM
Last Post by Chafik
08-Jan-2011, 01:55 PM
Last Post by Static