This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Viewer comments disappeared!

My server company, Avahost.net, apparently made some change on their server and Commentics stopped working! I was using it without problems from the end of last year and collected hundreds of comments. There is no error messsage, and the PHP code on the pages are unchanged, the database is still there with all the comments in it, but viewer comments are not being displayed any longer! I wrote the server admin and he told me to add

suPHP_ConfigPath /home/YURLOGIN/public_html/

to .htaccess. I did, substituting YURLOGIN with the one appropriate for my account, but it did not fix the problem. I know there must have been some change on the server because certain lines I had in .htaccess now conflict with showing my website properly and I had to put hash marks in front of the lines in question to get my site working again. The site loads fine except the comments don't show anymore.

The website in question: deeptruths.com Except for the front page, the Commentics PHP code is on most of the other pages.

Though comments on pages that had them do not display any longer, the "most commented articles" code on the front page of the site IS working and dynamically displaying the pages commented most!

Any suggestions how to fix the problem?

Hi,

I noticed that your pages are HTML files. I assume you have (or had) a command in your .htaccess file to make PHP code inside these HTML files work. Check that this command exists and that it doesn't have a hash mark in front of it and that it is correct for your server.

Have you completed the interview?

(30-May-2012, 10:59 AM)Steven Wrote:  Hi,

I noticed that your pages are HTML files. I assume you have (or had) a command in your .htaccess file to make PHP code inside these HTML files work. Check that this command exists and that it doesn't have a hash mark in front of it and that it is correct for your server.

Yes! Thank you for your input! This must be core to the problem! I had totally forgotten about the reason I put in that line of code in .htaccess. It is:

AddType application/x-httpd-php .html .htm

Unfortunately since some change on the server, putting that line back doesn't fix the problem and it causes other undesirable consequences such as an html file in an iframe not being displayed automatically. Did some update of PHP cause this problem? Is there something else I can do other than renaming all the html files to PHP?

I understand now that my problem has nothing to do with Commentics code and everything to do with a change in the server and commands in the .htaccess file. I'll take it from here. No need to get further into my problem. Thank you again, Steven, for your reply.

Just one more thing if you don't mind. On my server's PHP Configuration display I noticed this line.

Data Handling register_globals Off

But on another server company Cpanel's PHP Configuration, PHP data handling to register globals is set for ON. Could this be why adding AddType application/x-httpd-php .html .htm to .htaccess doesn't work any longer on the server that I am using the Commentics script?

I hope you don't mind, I sent a quick email to your host to ask what the correct command is.

They then requested your domain name so it might be that they now fix it for you.

They just replied with:

Quote:Hello

I've added "AddType application/x-httpd-php .html .htm" in your php.ini
Please check now from your end

Thanks

I was quite surprised that they acted upon it. They knew that it was only a hypothetical question and on your behalf.

Anyway, I hope it works now. If you want to takeover the support ticket, let me know and I'll PM you the link.

(31-May-2012, 12:37 PM)Steven Wrote:  I was quite surprised that they acted upon it. They knew that it was only a hypothetical question and on your behalf.

Anyway, I hope it works now. If you want to takeover the support ticket, let me know and I'll PM you the link.

Steven, thank you for your assistance! However it didn't fix the problem. Moreover, there was no such code in the php.ini file in the root directory of deeptruths.com Maybe they put it in the root of the server for all the websites on my hosting account.

Just before I read your replies I did a bit more research on my own and found that the server company upgraded to PHP 5.2.17 and .htaccess needed to be changed with the following two lines:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php5 .php5 .php4 .php .php3 .php2 .phtml .html
AddType application/x-httpd-php5 .php5 .php4 .php .php3 .php2 .phtml .html

This worked!!! All comments viewers wrote are back!! Problem fixed! :-)

Thank you for your support.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
13-Aug-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post by 2hands
18-Nov-2017, 11:21 PM
Last Post by Deparis
21-Jul-2014, 10:39 AM
Last Post by johan
29-Oct-2013, 11:01 PM