This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

New Install, locked out

Unable to log in with username/pass. I've created a new database and tried again, and still locked out. Here is what the installer has passed as minimum requirements:

A system check is now being performed ..

PHP version is 5.2 or higher Pass
MySQL version is 5.0.7 or higher Pass
Ctype extension is available Pass
Suhosin is not installed Pass
Mail() function is enabled Pass
GD Library is installed Pass
Magic Quotes is disabled Pass
System() function is enabled Pass
cURL is installed Pass
fopen(URL) is enabled Pass

I followed the instructions of adding the password manually, and this still does not allow me to gain access as admin.

Please help. I have several CMS and forum scripts utilizing mysql and can not figure this one out. Is there a Lost Password script routine? If not, why?

What did you do to reset the password? Did you read the FAQ? To change the password without entering, simply go to phpMyAdmin, and change the password md5sum. Then use the password (not the md5sum) to enter the account and change it there.

I'm giving you three guesses...

I never lost my password. It does not recognize it. I see the username in the mysql table and entered the: 5f4dcc3b5aa765d61d8327deb882cf99.

I deleted the database and restarted the installer, still no success. I think the database is partially connected or the tables are not good or in sync.

I placed in bold the question: is there a lost password routine? I will ask again. If there is not one, why is this so?

When you set the password as "5f4dcc3b5aa765d61d8327deb882cf99", it changes your password to "password". You don't enter "5f4dcc3b5aa765d61d8327deb882cf99" in the login screen, you enter "password" there. You might also want to make sure that you don't have any conflicting mysql databases (two with the same name) for Commentics.

As far as I know, there is no "Lost Password" script. This faq ( http://www.commentics.org/support/knowle...article=12 ) has a way of entering if you forget your password or loose it. As I am not the developer of the script (Steven is), I cannot say why there isn't one. My guess would be that the current way (editing the db) is the safest. This is an open-source project though, so anyone can add that functionality if needed.

Hi Static,

Thank you for your assistance. I did as you said, I then entered "password" when trying to sign in. Unfortunately a script like this without a lost password routine is not for me. I just can not imagine what life would be like editing the database manually for each member who forgot their password. It is a basic function to have a lost password routine. Example: this forum script, mYBB has this routine.

Caps

I see...

I *might* come up with a "lost password routine" if I find the time and willpower. Unfortunately, the changes can't be made on the main site (non-forum) until Steven comes back. By the way, Caps, your feedback is very appreciated and helpful. It would really help if you would give more feedback and criticism to help this project. Are there any particular features/add-ons/tutorials you would want? Any help with the code itself would also be appreciated, but it is understandable if you don't have the time/knowledge/motivation to contribute. Have a good night/morning.

--Static

I can contribute for template creation/themes from coders working on other projects. I am a project manager for internet applications. I am looking for projects that contribute in elevating the internet as a place to learn and place where others may be of help to one another. Commentics would be a candidate for an application that can bridge knowledge to all walks of life.

Our organization creates applications for scientific research and search and rescue missions. Commentics could be the application that is the bases for loved ones seeking the status of a disaster stricken area, could gain information.

Upon visiting the demo, one of my coders and I did like very much the admin layout. However it was not obvious where to set, "approve comments" was located, which is a key function for any admin. Not using Captula is another wise decision.

Unfortunate, many commenting scripts looks like a blog, a long continuous string of comments 5 stories tall. Many of the comments contents are off topic. This discounts the page or the site in general. The approval function would remove much of the jibber, but still the long snake like format exist feeling like a bottomless pit.

In closing I would like to state that Commentics has what looks like a well developed and good looking backend, that is one major milestone and achievement.

----------------

Excuse me if I didn't understand some things (3 AM here), but from what I understood, you like the back-end (albeit think that some key options are hard to find), but don't like the front-end (Looks bad?). To clear up some things, you can disable a lot of the requirements to post a comment, and what's displayed in one (all done through the back-end). The look of the front-end can be modified through the css files in the stylesheet directory (a few styles I created can be found in the forum). Captula (actually Captcha for this script) can also be disabled through the back-end (under layout->form>enabled) and approve comments can be found under settings->processor->general in the admin panel. Again, if I misunderstood something, excuse my sleepy ignorance Smile

One more thing. I've came up with a few features that should be useful. A search bar in the backend will really help., possibly a password-recovery script, per-page settings capability (would probably be difficult to implement, but creating a separate file for filtering could be possible to achieve this effect), and maybe adding some more comment display customization settings.

Did not want to imply that the frontend was not attractive. Sure that can be restyled with css. I am looking at 1 col with 2 sidebars. They can contain ads, images, ratings or just text. Sidebars are narrower than the center col.

Quote:One more thing. I've came up with a few features that should be useful. A search bar in the backend will really help., possibly a password-recovery script, per-page settings capability (would probably be difficult to implement, but creating a separate file for filtering could be possible to achieve this effect), and maybe adding some more comment display customization settings.

Sounds great. I would add, allow the commenter to add key words in a keyword field. Search on the key words first. This would make searching more accurate and more efficient. One keyword area would be the title. If I were the admin or moderator, I would enforce that titles be worded close to the content of the thread. For instance, title: "I did something wrong" or "This may sound stupid but . . " These kinds of titles degrades the community board and thus ties up resources/queries. A well moderated board is a better place for all.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
12-Dec-2021, 11:43 AM
Last Post by WhatSay
15-Aug-2020, 02:11 PM
Last Post by Steven
12-Nov-2018, 12:48 PM
Last Post by cexplorer
13-Jul-2018, 07:55 PM
Last Post by Steven