This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Limiting who can comment on certain pages

Is it possible to allow only one or two people to comment on one page while allowing anyone to comment on another page?

Why would you want that? I think what you want can be achieved by using .htaccess files that only allow certain ip addresses.

EDIT: here is an example:
Code:
<FilesMatch "restrictedfile.html">
order deny,allow
deny from all
allow from 123.456.789.101
allow from 456.789.012.345
allow from 789.012.345.678
</FilesMatch>
But it restricts all access to users other than the ones with the ip specified.

I'm giving you three guesses...

My brother and his wife have triplets and maintain a website to keep family that is out of state (which is everyone) up to speed. He hosts the page on his on server (he's an IT guy) and, from what I understand, they have to add the updates and then upload it. I think my sister-in-law would find it easier to just hop on to the website, enter a quick update in a comment box, and be done with it.

If they choose not to have other people commenting to "dilute" their updates on the little ones, that's the reason why they would limit comments on the update page. I'm sure on another page they'd be happy to allow everyone to comment. Make sense?

.htaccess the way to go?

Unfortunately, the above .htaccess file will not fit your needs if they don't have a dynamic ip. You can password protect the file though.
This can help you: http://www.besthostratings.com/articles/...ction.html

I'm giving you three guesses...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Mark
25-Mar-2023, 11:45 PM
Last Post by Steven
06-Nov-2020, 07:26 PM
Last Post by WhatSay
20-Aug-2020, 12:20 PM
Last Post by Steven
31-Dec-2014, 06:19 PM