This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

junk special characters output when no comments. IE9

I have added commentics to my site. I am using it for people to leave reviews of products. On some pages where no comments have been left, commentics is outputing junk special characters before the cmtx_topic_block. actually, even before the javascript that gets injected.

I am seeing this problem in IE9, but not FF17. I have not tried other browsers.

Go to this link. Click on the "Reviews" tab to see the characters
michigandiscountmattress.com/corsicana_foam_mattress.htm

If you view source, they should appear on line 432 of the html.

but then on this page michigandiscountmattress.com/mattresses/corsicana_bradley_lowest_price_firm/
the junk characters do not appear.

• yes my server htaccess is configured to run php inside of html.
  • both pages have the same doctype and are utf-8
  • I have made some minor changes to the includes/template/comments.php file to customize the output but my first change comes to line 311, after all the javascript is output
  • I'm really not sure if I did something wrong or if the commentics code is broken.
  • I can just ignore this problem but would like to report it anyways.
  • As soon as I leave a comment on the broken page, the special chars will disappear.

any suggestions on how to fix this?

just noticed that I am getting the same junk output that was reported in this thread
http://www.commentics.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=623
but my pages are encoded properly as UTF-8...

I played with my IE9 browser and found a menu option for encoding. For some reason, it was set to "Western European (Windows)"
I changed it to auto and the page automatically refreshed as UTF-8. Now the junk characters are gone.

So, this seems to be a browser issue, not a commentics issue. But I can't find a setting for IE that would have told it to override the Content-Type declared by the HTML... and I don't know why it was only messed up on 1 page, not the other. next time I will have to remember to replicate the problem on multiple computers before assuming commentics is broken. but I still wonder if the comments.php file could be fixed in a way that does not require the UTF-8

anyways. thank you Steven for an awesome script. keep up the good work. :-)

On my version of IE9 the encoding is set to "Auto-Select" and "Unicode (UTF-8)".

I don't remember ever changing this so I assume this is the default setting.

I'll have to look into whether it's possible for Commentics to enforce UTF-8 if Western European is selected.

Have you completed the interview?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
13-Aug-2021, 08:01 AM
Last Post by 2hands
18-Nov-2017, 11:21 PM
Last Post by Deparis
21-Jul-2014, 10:39 AM