This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Moving to other domain

Hi Steven,

Sorry for my English, I hope you will all understand!

I need to copy my site (with actual database) on an other domain name.

I will copy the database, the files and I will change the connect informations of course.

Only I dont know if after I will can connect to admin commentics because, in the settings / system of commentics, there is the old domain name.

I will can connect to newdomain/comments/admin or it will be not possible because of the settings in the database?

Thanks a lot

Eric

Hi Eric,

You should be able to log in fine to the admin panel after moving it. It will give you a little warning when you log in that the old domain name needs to be updated in Settings -> System. There are also a few other settings that you will then need to update as well.

Have you completed the interview?

(16-Mar-2013, 08:15 PM)Steven Wrote:  Hi Eric,

You should be able to log in fine to the admin panel after moving it. It will give you a little warning when you log in that the old domain name needs to be updated in Settings -> System. There are also a few other settings that you will then need to update as well.

Thank you very much Steven !

Hi Steven,

In the Manage / Pages, I have about 6000 pages. When I will copy the database in the new domain, I will have to change all the old url ??? I hope no.

Thanks

Eric

(16-Mar-2013, 11:18 PM)besric Wrote:  
(16-Mar-2013, 08:15 PM)Steven Wrote:  Hi Eric,

Thank you very much Steven !

What I would do is a search-and-replace in phpMyAdmin. If you open phpMyAdmin, select the database on the left hand side, and then click the 'SQL' tab, you can run a search-and-replace query.

The query is like this:
Code:
UPDATE table_name SET field_name = REPLACE(field_name, 'find this string', 'replace found string with this string');

So, in this case, the following should work:
Code:
UPDATE pages SET url = REPLACE(url, 'old.com', 'new.com');

(Remember to replace old.com and new.com with your domain names)

Hi Steven,

Do you think that I can change the new urls with new domain name directly in the dump of the database before upload it ?

For me it seems more easy !

Best regards

Eric

(17-Mar-2013, 03:33 PM)Steven Wrote:  What I would do is a search-and-replace in phpMyAdmin. If you open phpMyAdmin, select the database on the left hand side, and then click the 'SQL' tab, you can run a search-and-replace query.

The query is like this:
Code:
UPDATE table_name SET field_name = REPLACE(field_name, 'find this string', 'replace found string with this string');

So, in this case, the following should work:
Code:
UPDATE pages SET url = REPLACE(url, 'old.com', 'new.com');

(Remember to replace old.com and new.com with your domain names)

Yep, absolutely. That may be better because you can easily undo it.

Ok, thanks a lot Steven and have a nice day !

(17-Mar-2013, 07:09 PM)Steven Wrote:  Yep, absolutely. That may be better because you can easily undo it.

Steven, I am moving from HTTP to HTTPS. I saw your instructions earlier in this thread for changing domain names. I noticed these instructions were written back in the 2.x days. Should I use the same instructions for 3.4?

If you're only changing from HTTP to HTTPs then there's very little that needs doing.

It should be as simple as updating the 'Site URL' and 'Commentics URL' fields in 'Settings -> System'.

If you let me know if that works I'll create an FAQ for it.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by gongong
28-Oct-2017, 12:30 PM
Last Post by Gabe
24-Oct-2017, 03:24 PM
Last Post by Steven
09-Feb-2013, 05:56 PM