This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Automatic email when reply to comment is posted

Hi,

I've recently installed the Commentics script and have been playing around with it.

Is it possible for the original poster of a comment to receive an email notification when someone replies to their specific comment? At the moment I only the admin seems to receive notification's when a comment and or reply is made.

Thanks

Dalen

(14-Nov-2013, 09:06 PM)brassnugget Wrote:  Hi,

I've recently installed the Commentics script and have been playing around with it.

Is it possible for the original poster of a comment to receive an email notification when someone replies to their specific comment? At the moment I only the admin seems to receive notification's when a comment and or reply is made.

Thanks

Dalen

UPDATE:
Ok so it seems that if I do 'Admin Detect' and then post a reply to a comment via the hosting website an email notification is sent to the user I reply to. Does this mean that email notifications of a comment reply are only sent to the user when a reply is made by admin?

Hi,

If the user selects the "Notify me of new comments via email" checkbox when posting then they will receive an email whenever a new comment/reply is posted, regardless of whether the reply is to their comment or someone else's.
http://www.commentics.org/support/knowle...?article=7

There are plans to add an option to narrow this down so that the user only gets an email notification when it's his/her comment that was replied to.
http://www.commentics.org/roadmap.php

It doesn't matter if it's the admin who posts or not. The user will get an email notification either way. In terms of email notifications, the only differences of being detected as admin when posting are that it will ignore the "Notify me of new comments via email" checkbox (because the admin won't want this as they get an admin email notification instead) and they won't get the admin email notification (because they don't need to be notified that they themselves just posted a comment).
http://www.commentics.org/wiki/doku.php?..._detection

Have you completed the interview?

Hmm, ok. Is the ability for a user to receive an email notification only when a reply is made to that user's actual post likely to be implemented anytime soon?

As much as I would like to use this script on my site the current setup where by everyone gets notified of a new comment or reply is too 'spammy' for my needs - which is a pity because apart from this issue the script is perfect and much better than other 'big name' scripts out there.

Cheers

It's likely to be implemented in the next version, v2.5, which should hopefully be available around the time of the new year.

Thanks, I look forward to that version update

Hi there,

Quote:There are plans to add an option to narrow this down so that the user only gets an email notification when it's his/her comment that was replied to

Is there any update as to when this feature might be implemented?

Cheers

Hi,

I've developed this feature so it will definitely be in the next version.

Regarding the next version there are just a couple of very minor things that I want to finish and then I'll be doing final testing. It will certainly be released this month.

Hi Steven,

Many thanks for including this feature in the latest v2.5 release.

When a new user receives the 'Confirm your subscription' email after posting their first comment and clicks on the email link to confirm, is it possible for me to change what the default email notification is? Currently the default setting is for the user to be notified of all comments, it would be great if I could change the default to Custom > 'Replies to my comments only'.

Once again thanks for including this feature in the new release.

Hi Dalen,

I'm glad you like the new feature!

To change the default to replies only, in /commentics/includes/functions/processor.php, change this (line 94):

PHP Code:
<?php 
cmtx_db_query
("INSERT INTO `" . $cmtx_mysql_table_prefix . "subscribers` (`name`, `email`, `page_id`, `token`, `to_all`, `to_admin`, `to_reply`, `is_confirmed`, `ip_address`, `dated`) VALUES ('$name', '$email', '$page_id', '$token', '1', '1', '1', '0', '$ip_address', NOW())");

.. to this ..

PHP Code:
<?php 
cmtx_db_query
("INSERT INTO `" . $cmtx_mysql_table_prefix . "subscribers` (`name`, `email`, `page_id`, `token`, `to_all`, `to_admin`, `to_reply`, `is_confirmed`, `ip_address`, `dated`) VALUES ('$name', '$email', '$page_id', '$token', '0', '0', '1', '0', '$ip_address', NOW())");

I'll add some settings to control the default in the next version.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
20-Aug-2021, 08:48 AM
Last Post by Steven
13-Aug-2020, 12:36 PM
Last Post by clixcity
30-Jul-2020, 08:29 AM