This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

"Add Comment" button suddenly became unresponsive

Hello Steven,

A strange thing just happened with my script. Somebody added a comment earlier this morning to my latest post, and about an hour or so later when I tried to insert a reply the "Add Comment" button is apparently unresponsive. No error, no nothing, it's just as if I'm clicking on any random place on the page. I've tried with several browsers, on several of my posts, on both a PC and an iPhone, but I can't post a comment at all. I haven't logged into the system at all for some time now, and my webhost says nothing was changed or updated on their end. I'm on 3.0 still if that makes a difference.

Any idea what might be going on, or what I can check?

Cheers,
Allan

Hi Allan,

Try applying this fix from v3.1:

https://github.com/commentics/commentics...0fab96bda3

I can't say for sure everything will work afterwards but it will definitely fix at least one of the problems I noticed on your page.

Have you completed the interview?

Thanks for that suggestion. I just realized though that since our last conversation I've upgraded from a shared server plan where I couldn't upgrade to the new minimum requirement of MySQL 5.6.5, to a managed VPS where they can do the upgrade. I figure the best idea then might be to just upgrade MySQL, then do a clean install of 3.1. That way I'll no longer have the weird Softaculous install, I'll have the latest version of Commentics, and my current problems might very well get magically fixed. Wink

My only question is, is it possible to upgrade to a too-advanced version of MySQL? I see that the latest stable version is 5.7.17. Would that be okay with Commentics, or should I go lower?

Thanks again,
Allan

Someone asked the same question today using this website's ticket system. They said they're having trouble getting Commentics working with MySQL 5.7.17. Was that you or maybe someone on your behalf? Anyway at this moment it appears it doesn't work with the latest stable version. I know it works with 5.7.11. That's the version on my local machine where I do all the development.

Have you completed the interview?

Nope, that wasn't me -- I didn't even realize there was a ticket system (if I had of known I may have used that instead of cluttering up the forum!) -- and I really don't think then random person from my webhost would have tried getting a hold of you either. Regardless, thanks for the heads up 5.7.17, and I'm having my webhost update my server to 5.7.11 right now.

Allan

Well I just found out that my managed VPS can't have its MySQL updated. Zheesh. So I'm stuck on < 5.6.5 until who knows when.

I wasn't sure about your Github fix and figured it was probably easier to just not be lazy and update to 3.1. So I did and now my weird problem is magically fixed.

Regarding 3.1, I noticed that when a comment is added it now fades in up above. Nice, thanks!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Steven
13-Aug-2020, 12:36 PM
Last Post by Steven
01-Jan-2016, 12:26 AM
Last Post by infogate
03-Feb-2015, 09:23 PM
Last Post by Tom C.
15-Apr-2013, 05:41 AM
Last Post by Steven
08-Feb-2013, 08:41 PM