This is the community forum. For a developer response use the Client Area.
Follow us on Facebook, Twitter and YouTube!

Email authentication

Hi

I'm just looking at integrating Commentics with my current site. Is there any way to enable email authentication, so I can check that the user is posting with their actual email address and not someone elses?

Thanks!

Hi,

No, users can enter any email address when they post a comment, and there's no feature which can be enabled to authenticate it. If the user chooses to subscribe to new comments then there is an authentication (double opt-in) at this stage, but not simply for posting a comment. For what reason do you want this? If it's so that you can collect the email address so that you can later send the person a newsletter then I discourage this process because the person hasn't asked for it and it's not what Commentics was designed for. On the other hand, if it's to confirm that a person's Gravatar is their own then I can sort of understand this but again, it's not possible at this time.

Have you completed the interview?

Thanks for your response.

The main reason is so when users are logged into the site, I can retrieve a list of their recent comment like we do for our current crude system. I can scour the login table for a matching email address and pull them out this way. If users have provided an email address that belongs to someone else then this would be providing false data.

Obviously I can get around this by making sure people are registered to the site, and then we'd pre fill in the name and email details, I just wanted to provide another option really, so people didn't have to go through out registration process.

Is there another method people use for matching Commentics users to their own users you can recommend? Or is that how it's normally done?

To be honest it's not a subject which comes up very often but out of the times that it has, most people seem to do your workaround by directing users to log-in to be able to comment.

Have you completed the interview?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by clixcity
30-Jul-2020, 08:29 AM
Last Post by Steven
02-Jan-2017, 01:07 PM
Last Post by Steven
17-Mar-2015, 06:25 PM
Last Post by sherry
27-Apr-2013, 12:33 AM
Last Post by otuzel